AJS Blue colour match

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
Roderick

AJS Blue colour match

Post by Roderick »

There seems to have been two "Blues" used by AMC on AJS Model 14 250cc petrol tanks. One is a light blue which I think is the "Light Sky Blue" offered by RS Motorbike Paint Colours. It also seems to be the only Blue they offer for any AJS model.

I have used "Light Sky Blue" on another Special project so I know what it looks like but what I would like for the completion of the current Model 14 restoration is the original darker Blue.

Does anyone know what paint nowadays available is a good match for AJS Dark Blue?

Rod
Peter Morris

Re: AJS Blue colour match

Post by Peter Morris »

There were a few different versions of the 'same' colours. Les at Russells has 5 or 6 cans of the same colour touch-up paint from the factory..........all different.
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Ford Balliol Blue is a lovely Blue and close to a factory colour.
Roderick

Post by Roderick »

Ford Balliol Blue looks good, Rob. I'll go with that.

I didn't know Russells had original 'touch up' paint, Peter, but then that place is an amazing portal into the past. When I am in London, I like to go there & just stare in the window & am right back at the end of the 1960's. Absolute magic!

Thank you both. People on this forum are always so very helpful.

Rod
Peter Morris

Post by Peter Morris »

Roderick wrote:
I didn't know Russells had original 'touch up' paint, Peter, but then that place is an amazing portal into the past. When I am in London, I like to go there & just stare in the window & am right back at the end of the 1960's. Absolute magic!

I don't think they are for sale Rod, not big enough to paint anything with, there are only the few of them I believe.

I know what you mean, I am in there several times a week (My work takes me past there several times per week, sometimes per day) Les is extremely knowledgeable and has helped me a great deal. Got the G3C engine apart so I'll be back in there on Tuesday.
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Roderick wrote:There seems to have been two "Blues" used by AMC on AJS Model 14 250cc petrol tanks. One is a light blue which I think is the "Light Sky Blue" offered by RS Motorbike Paint Colours. It also seems to be the only Blue they offer for any AJS model.

I have used "Light Sky Blue" on another Special project so I know what it looks like but what I would like for the completion of the current Model 14 restoration is the original darker Blue.

Does anyone know what paint nowadays available is a good match for AJS Dark Blue?

Rod
Mediterranean blue metallic. RS do that one too listed for a 1960. I tried it but it was horrible to spray as a diy job so ended up rubbing it down, wasting nearly £60, and spraying my spare tank black which was an optional extra at the time.
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Peter Morris wrote:
Roderick wrote:

I don't think they are for sale Rod, not big enough to paint anything with, there are only the few of them I believe.

I know what you mean, I am in there several times a week (My work takes me past there several times per week, sometimes per day) Les is extremely knowledgeable and has helped me a great deal. Got the G3C engine apart so I'll be back in there on Tuesday.
What's up with it this time?
shifter

Post by shifter »

Blue Model 8 still looking good
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
?
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

shifter wrote:Blue Model 8 still looking good
Ford Balliol Blue at its best.
Peter Morris

Post by Peter Morris »

ajscomboman wrote: What's up with it this time?
Plug oiling up big time, exhaust valve guide is very sloppy.