Rejuvenating a Chronometric Speedo - PHASE 5

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
clanger9

Re: Rejuvenating a Chronometric Speedo

Post by clanger9 »

Top job! Chronometrics are marvellous things, aren't they?
1989 Moto Morini Dart 350
1993 Ducati 750SS
aobp11

Post by aobp11 »

clive wrote:There is a slipping clutch which controls how long the drive is applied to "test" the speed. Once it starts slipping then the speed registered is too high and eventually goes round to the top speed and stays there.
Those who are familiar with the working principle of the speedo know of course what Clive wants to say. For others it may sound a little strange or contradictory.
The clutch is always slipping. The problems start when the friction force in the slipping clutch drops too far.

Albert
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Great thread and photos.

I've bookmarked tis. I had my Chrono rebuilt by Autotempo quite a long time ago and over the last couple of years the register of speed has become more "stepped" although still relatively accurate (over reads true speed by about 4/6 mph at indicated 70 mph).

And the trip has stopped resetting.

So if I get other things sorted I might attempt a clean up. No response required to this just thanks for the account of progress, pictures, references and guidance.

Johnny B
Group Leader

Post by Group Leader »

56G80S wrote: ......... just thanks for the account of progress, pictures, references and guidance.
That is the joy and benefit of a good internet forum - to have literally hundreds of years valuable experience on tap to help the new boys like myself out is invaluable. Hopefully, by posting the trials and tribulations encountered will help others too, infact, you've just confirmed it :)

I've found on many forums, relating to a host of different interests, that you very quickly spot the bods who really know their onions (and the ones that don't) and hence the ones to trust and it's certainly no different here.

Just to wrap up then; the best video I could find of this splendid device in action - how fiendishly clever!

Alan
1953 AJS 16MS, 1939 BSA 250 and a 1/3 scale Sopwith Triplane but that's another story ..... :lol:
Flash

Post by Flash »

I don't believe I could tackle the hassle of trying to repair a speedo these days, trying to hold anything small I do tend to shake quite a bit, even small jobs like soldering if I have to hold two elements together, I'm lucky if I get it spot on. I have just recently sent off a chronometric speedo to Chronometric Instrument Services in Nottingham, who do a complete refurbish, re-calibrate to your requirements for £140 plus £8-50 postage, looking forward to its return now.
Richard Mills

Post by Richard Mills »

Flash wrote:I don't believe I could tackle the hassle of trying to repair a speedo these days, trying to hold anything small I do tend to shake quite a bit, even small jobs like soldering if I have to hold two elements together, I'm lucky if I get it spot on. I have just recently sent off a chronometric speedo to Chronometric Instrument Services in Nottingham, who do a complete refurbish, re-calibrate to your requirements for £140 plus £8-50 postage, looking forward to its return now.
I would be pleased to hear what you think of their work once you have it returned and installed.
JDFS79

Post by JDFS79 »

I have used the same chronometric service, and they are very good , a little expensive for me, but if you want perfection they will do it.
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

Richard Mills wrote:
Flash wrote:I don't believe I could tackle the hassle of trying to repair a speedo these days, trying to hold anything small I do tend to shake quite a bit, even small jobs like soldering if I have to hold two elements together, I'm lucky if I get it spot on. I have just recently sent off a chronometric speedo to Chronometric Instrument Services in Nottingham, who do a complete refurbish, re-calibrate to your requirements for £140 plus £8-50 postage, looking forward to its return now.
I would be pleased to hear what you think of their work once you have it returned and installed.
I've been up to Chronometric Instrument Services, it's a small unit in an industrial complex. Russell, the guy who runs it, is an ex Smiths Instrument engineer and extremely knowledgeable. He worked very hard to get my speedometer working correctly when I plagued with the odometers under reading (by 30 miles on a 90 mile trip) although the speed indication was correct. In the end, it was cured by Russell making and fitting a special 'leaf' spring on top of the ratchet pawl to keep it in contact with the ratchet wheel. Vibration from the engine seemed to be causing the pawl to miss about one tooth in three. Mounting the instrument on rubber grommets and fitting a piece of sheet rubber between the mounting bracket and the top yoke also helped. It now reads correctly, thank goodness.
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
39speedtwin

Post by 39speedtwin »

I have read with interest the various postings, nearly £150 is very expensive for a refurb!
Also my repairer states that mounting a Chronometric on rubber increases the vibrations.
Also avoid cables that are not from the U.K. as most have the inner above the stop too long, they should be a maximum of 7/16”, any longer and damage to the clockwork will occur.
Flash

Post by Flash »

Well, I have just received my speedo, back from Chronometric Instrument Services for my G9 and what a fantastic job they have done on it, it originally went to them as a speedo from a BSA a10, he rebuilt it and put a new face etc also re-calibrated it for the G9, I am delighted with the end result and will definitely be sending any other speedo I need doing to Russ, three week turn around, I have heard some woeful stories about other repairers but I strongly recommend Russ at Chronometric Instrument Services.

Kind regards Flash AKA TTJohn