Matchless G3L - Teledraulic Forks (Slider Extensions)

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
phenry

Matchless G3L - Teledraulic Forks (Slider Extensions)

Post by phenry »

Greetings!

Working on the Teledraulics today and looks like the Slider Extensions are short of length. The previous owner just cut off a portion of it for reasons unknown.
I was wondering if I could make a replica of this as the design looks simple.

The question is
(1) Is this one complete part machined from a lathe
(2) Is this a 2 piece part, one being the hollow pipe and the other a threaded part, machined from a lathe and then welded together. Please advice

Also the threads on the fork legs are badly worn out. Can this be re-threaded?

Any advice will be extremely helpful.

Regards
PHenry
SPRIDDLER

Re: Matchless G3L - Teledraulic Forks (Slider Extensions)

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Well, since I just happen to be online........
A frugal pal (g80csp11) is at this moment making a pair for his G15CSR. It seems that new ones are about $150 Plus shipping (and probably import duty) and only currently available from the U.S.A.
He has used stainless tubing of exactly the correct size. The threaded part on the old ones is an insert which he proposes to part off in a lathe and silver solder them into the new stainless tubes.
He may be along later with more detail.
Can't help with restoring the threads in the fork legs I'm afraid. (I assume you mean the aluminium sliders).
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Blimey| When I did my restoration a year or so ago slider extensions were readily available for around £40 - how times change.

They are a two piece construction, (welded together).

I wouldn't be too anal about the slider threads, the fork springs will tend to keep the slider extensions in contact with the sliders, just don't torque them up too tight and risk further damage to the sliders.

Regards Mick
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

You don't say whether your forks are the early 1.1/8" or the later 1.1/4" stanchions but when I refurbished my early ones, I bought a pair of stainless slider extensions from the club spares (Part No. 018161). When I bought them, they were £57 a pair but it seem that the price for the ones in stock now are £78 +VAT
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.