Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
bigduke6

Post by bigduke6 »

New member to the forum,

I'm currently restoring (very slowly) a 1943 Matchless WD G3L, I've gained a lot of spares since I've had it, the idea was to build up a parts bike for occasional use. I've a spare frame, forks, tanks and engine parts.

Whilst browsing ebay and classifieds etc for something, I come across an AJS Model 8 which I went to see and was offered it at very reasonable price so the deal was done.

The bike is ready to use needs some TLC but nothing major I could see. Although it will be mainly road use I'm toying with the idea of replacing the Mudguards, exhaust and seat and tires to use off road at times when I'm camping etc, I've seen a few G5's and Model 8's with the trial/ trail/scrambler look.

Just wonder if anyone has done anything similar ? I don't intend to permanently change the bike, what ever parts I take off will be kept for future etc.
Peter Morris

Re: New member

Post by Peter Morris »

Welcome Geoff,

A CS version of the Lightweights was available
Screen Shot 2018-09-16 at 16.45.23.png
Check the sales brochures under 'promotional' on http://archives.jampot.dk for more details.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bigduke6

Post by bigduke6 »

Thanks Peter,

Overtime thats what I aim it to look like, anyone know where to get the mudguards ?
g80csp11

Post by g80csp11 »

cbranni

Post by cbranni »

What you can make out of a pile of bits...........

http://www.jampot.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... whats+next

Colin
only dead fish go with the flow
Peter Morris

Post by Peter Morris »

bigduke6 wrote:Thanks Peter,

Overtime thats what I aim it to look like, anyone know where to get the mudguards ?
I think they are just ali guards, pretty easy to obtain.... at least one of mine is Wassels.
cbranni

Post by cbranni »

Steven at AMC Classics usually has them in stock, failing that try Feked who have bought up Sammy Millers parts dept.

Colin
only dead fish go with the flow
bigduke6

Post by bigduke6 »

Peter Morris wrote:
bigduke6 wrote:Thanks Peter,

I think they are just ali guards, pretty easy to obtain.... at least one of mine is Wassels.

Thanks Again, Have looked on various sites etc and seen some that will do the job, just wondered if there was a standard set someone makes.
Peter Morris

Post by Peter Morris »

bigduke6 wrote:

Thanks Again, Have looked on various sites etc and seen some that will do the job, just wondered if there was a standard set someone makes.

Not that I know of, but as long as you get the correct wheel size guards they are easy to use. I managed it so I think probably anyone can.
Rangy65

Post by Rangy65 »

Here a few pictures of my latest project G5 Trail. after the last two bikes i still hard quite a number of parts left inc frame engine and log book.

The wheels are lightweight rear heavyweight front, substantially modified rear frame stronger with loop. I made the side panels, Chain guard and seat pan were from Steve Jones at progressive spares. The seat base was cut down and re-welded - lots of other small mods & loads of stainless.

Cheers
Steve
club pic2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.