CSR twin help

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
G15 Roy

Re: CSR twin help

Post by G15 Roy »

jim griff wrote:Hi all,

I've managed to secure a spare barrel at +30 thou so at least I will be able to get it bored out to fit my piston & I've ordered a new set of circlips from Jampot spares. Very Frustrating but these things are sent to try us I guess?

Jim
I,hope it's not from that dodgy jumble trader from Southampton the last ones I bought from him had no fins :lol: ;)
Roy
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

G15 Roy wrote:
jim griff wrote:Hi all,

I've managed to secure a spare barrel at +30 thou so at least I will be able to get it bored out to fit my piston & I've ordered a new set of circlips from Jampot spares. Very Frustrating but these things are sent to try us I guess?

Jim
I,hope it's not from that dodgy jumble trader from Southampton the last ones I bought from him had no fins :lol: ;)
Oih! that's not fair, you looked at the damn things and still shipped them on! Pot, kettle, black! :rofl:

Anyway just for your info, no the barrel is not damaged in anyway shape or form.
jim griff

Post by jim griff »

I've just about picked up enough will power to attempt to remove the piston to use it for size when the the used barrel turns up. Sounds a daft question probably but the R/H cylinder is fine so I don't really want to touch this. Circlip & broken one removed, I now need to withdraw the gudgeon pin. Can this be done with the other cylinder in situ, or as I suspect has this got to come off as well?

I'm trying to go for the easiest approach to this as I want it up and running again and plan to use it straight through to 2019
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

You can do it with the other cylinder in situ:

Get a piece of threaded rod, a nut and washer that will pass through the piston, (6mm will probably work).

Thread the rod through the gudgeon pin and place the nut and washer on the inside.

Heat the piston with a hot air paint stripper or at a push a hair dryer.

If you're lucky you'll be able to withdraw the pin by pulling on the rod whilst supporting the piston

If you're unlucky you may have to 'jack' the pin out using a piece of tube, a large washer and another nut, (don't forget to protect the piston form the tube).

Regards Mick
jim griff

Post by jim griff »

I've just removed the piston to inspect the circlip apertures and the side in which the clip failed doesn't have a complete 360 degree rebate for the circlip, neither does the opposite side? They both have a small area at the top of the aperture piston crown side in which no groove is apparent. I'm now thinking this could either be a fault in the piston and hence a 2nd? I'm aware that circlips are usually fitted eyelets up on pistons, so is this normal or do I have a suspect piston? I honestly can't remember when I fitted them if this was a feature?

The new circlips have arrived and are a slightly bigger diameter than the undamaged one I removed as well.

Any thoughts?