Swinging Arm & Battery Carrier

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
clanger9

Re: Swinging Arm & Battery Carrier

Post by clanger9 »

Are you sure that's a Lightweight swingarm? 't other end looks different to mine...
IMG_2950.jpg
IMG_2951.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1989 Moto Morini Dart 350
1993 Ducati 750SS
Martin.S

Post by Martin.S »

Well thanks for your help here, Ozmadman, The width of the flat face on the spindle is a lot wider than Clangers and the plain diameter is too wide - it's got to come out.
Clanger, I think yours looks like mine doesn't it? - you boy at the back - stop sniggering !
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Martin, it may be worth checking out the parts advert dated 13th July.
Martin.S

Post by Martin.S »

Thanks Duncan - E mail sent.
Clanger - just been out to the garage and yes they look the same although the little tube I gather is for the chain guard on mine is a little longer.
clanger9

Post by clanger9 »

Martin.S wrote:Clanger - just been out to the garage and yes they look the same although the little tube I gather is for the chain guard on mine is a little longer.
Excellent. I couldn't quite tell from the photos. Very strange that someone's fitted the wrong shaft!
1989 Moto Morini Dart 350
1993 Ducati 750SS
Martin.S

Post by Martin.S »

I've got this incorrect spindle out and will get a new one ordered.
Has anyone fitted one themselves? I presume the flat for the cotter pin is a right angles to the center line of the swinging arms length but what is the fitted length and was the spindle originally brazed or welded in? - and how did you set it up?
Cheers
Martin
bitza

Post by bitza »

Could it be the thread is to adjust the side play/ float before you fit and tighten the cotter.
Martin.S

Post by Martin.S »

No the cotter pin flat was in the wrong place.
Martin.S

Post by Martin.S »

Just read this article and all makes sense - http://test.ajs-matchless.com/forum/vie ... ac#p100411

I'll assemble all the bits and get it all parallel and then tack weld it before welding proper. I was thinking of perhaps making up a spacer to replicate the frame to get the spacing of the two arms correct. When making the spacer do I allow for the felt washers?
cbranni

Post by cbranni »

Martin, I believe the cotter pin fixing allows for some movement of the arm along the spindle so the important thing is to align both arms parallel and cotter pin fitted before welding, once welded and assembled with felt washers nip up the cotter pin and tap the cotter pinned arm inwards to take up any side to side play then fully tighten the cotter pin.

How I did mine if my memory is correct but it was 50 years ago so I could be wrong.

Colin
only dead fish go with the flow