Rear number plate mounting G5

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
silverbob

Rear number plate mounting G5

Post by silverbob »

Hi guys looking to replace rear swan neck number plate mount with something more in keeping with original. Have seen many on ebay manufactured in india but they are all different ie some have ridges on top and some are rounded, any recommendations also Wipac Rear Light as the ones I have seen have wings on each side. The one fitted at present is square and has made in china across the lens. Bob
alanengineer

Re: Rear number plate mounting G5

Post by alanengineer »

Hi Bob

You have accessed a most wonderful fountain of knowledge of everything AJS and Matchless. Almost all of your questions you are about to ask have already been asked and answered. All you have to do is search and find and if yo dont find, then ask the question and you will get lots of happy answers.
Start with your parts list and owners handbook, free to look up on another free to look at site. your next question as to what site has been answered many times this last month alone so i wont waste my time repeating it.

By the way, G5 Nice bike
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

You can advertise free as a club member in the club magazine for parts wanted. Also see dealer adverts for S/H parts.
Don't know what you mean by swan neck rear no plate etc. E bay may show many no. plates, none may be for you bike. You can see in sales cats what your no. plate should look like. Perhaps also in photos here. I believe you have no ridge on the mudguard, so no plate will not have a ridge to match. It will be plain. Note how it matches uptight to the guard. You should find correct rear light OK.
Ashampoo_Snap_2018.08.12_23h57m34s_002_.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
silverbob

Post by silverbob »

Hi Rob I have advertised in jampot and this site for rear light, number plate and headlight but as yet no replies. There are sites advertising new number plate mounts in India some have rounded top and some have a ridged top by your picture a rounded top looks correct. Thanks for that all pictures I have seen that part is obscured . Bob
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

silverbob wrote:Hi Rob I have advertised in jampot and this site for rear light, number plate and headlight but as yet no replies. There are sites advertising new number plate mounts in India some have rounded top and some have a ridged top by your picture a rounded top looks correct. Thanks for that all pictures I have seen that part is obscured . Bob
Have you also tried AMC classic spares for S/H parts.
alanengineer

Post by alanengineer »

I had the last genuine one out of Russell motors
clive

Post by clive »

alanengineer wrote:I had the last genuine one out of Russell motors
Well we have all done that :rofl:
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
silverbob

Post by silverbob »

Hi Rob yes have tried russel, amc, and andrew engineering all are helpful but no stock. Am going to Netley Marsh so will look there
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

silverbob wrote:Hi Rob I have advertised in jampot and this site for rear light, number plate and headlight but as yet no replies. There are sites advertising new number plate mounts in India some have rounded top and some have a ridged top by your picture a rounded top looks correct. Thanks for that all pictures I have seen that part is obscured . Bob
Not sure if this will help?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

silverbob wrote:Hi Rob yes have tried russel, amc, and andrew engineering all are helpful but no stock. Am going to Netley Marsh so will look there
I'll take my spare L/W bits then for you to look at. Not much left but there maybe something useful. No tinware or rear light units I'm afraid. Roy and I will be at the top of the field. Just keep walking straight up the entry road and we'll be on the corner.