Indicators

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
MalcW

Indicators

Post by MalcW »

I have come to the conclusion that I need to fit indicators to my bike. I've been considering it for a while, but have resisted so far, wanting to retain a more original look. What prompted this conclusion? I was on the way back from a run on Tuesday evening, and was approaching a roundabout to turn right. I checked the mirrors, did the usual glance over my shoulder, and signalled right as I was slowing for the roundabout. Nothing was coming, so round I went. On the far side (which is dual carriageway) a Range Rover started to pull out. Happily he was on the ball, realised I was coming past him rather than going straight ahead, and waited. He could have argued that I wasn't signalling, which was correct as I had need of the throttle, so both hands were back on the bars by then.
I know it's traditional for cars to pull out in front of bikes, but every little helps.

Malc
dave16mct

Re: Indicators

Post by dave16mct »

If you look at Torpedo LED Indicatos on ebay, you'll find some nice unobtrusive ones that look OK on our bikes. Also use a flasher relay with a buzzer to remind you to switch em off! Put it where you can hear it, not under the seat.
Dave.
JimFitz

Post by JimFitz »

I have just fitted indicators to one of my bikes. I used the old style Lucas type as they look a bit retro. If you are running 6v dynamo then it is advisable to fit LED bulbs and you will need an LED flasher unit. It is also worth fitting a warning buzzer - I fitted one which starts after a selectable delay and then slowly builds up volume.
I have seen many bikes with the flashers left on after turning - an ideal invitation for someone to pull out in front of you.

I will probably fit indicators to all my bikes because I firmly believe that most car drivers do not understand hand signals and only respond to a flashing amber lamp. The exceptions are car drivers who have ridden or ride an old bike.

In the few seconds when you give a hand signal they could be distracted by:
- Talking on their mobile
- Adjusting the air-con
- Tuning the wireless
- Changing a CD
- Shouting at the kids in the back seat
- Eating a sandwich
To name a few!

At least with flashing indicators they are permanently on for them to see when they find the time to give the road ahead some attention.

Jim
Too old to Rock and Roll but too young to die.

1952 G80 rigid, 1960 G12 DL / Watsonian Monza, 1954 G80S.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

I guess one could suggest adjusting the friction on the twistgrip so that it stay open although I've never liked riding like that. I can't give hand signals now anyway, riding with just my left arm useable. Can't even wipe or open the visor to scratch my nose or to let a wasp out............
I've indicators on my modern bike but have fitted a squeaker kit inside the headlamp (four quid from eBay) as I have occasionally failed to cancel my left winker, the result of which doesn't bear thinking about.
Squeaker: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MOTORBIKE-IN ... xyuCJRfRHJ

As an aside, a couple of weeks ago I was in my motorhome following a Pikey-looking white van towing a piled up trailer around several roundabouts on a dual carriageway. From my high seat I could see that his trailer winkers worked opposite to the van's. A biker joined the road behind him in front of me. The van was in the outside lane at a roundabout indicating left to pull across and exit the roundabout but the biker only saw the trailer's right indicator and drew slightly alongside the trailer to turn off. It was a miracle that the biker avoided being knocked off his bike when the trailer pulled across him and ran him over a kerb onto the grass verge. I was so annoyed that I followed the van a couple of miles to a farm unit, jumped out and (uncharacteristically for me) gave the driver a serious piece of my mind. He just got out of the van and walked away saying "Not my van mate".
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

I once had winkers work opposite to my car Neville. I had turned my lighting board round, so it was the width of the board upwards instead of down wards, where it sometimes grounded on bumpy rally fields. I had notice it before going off on the road, so just switched the wires round on the trailer plug. Yes I did remember to turn the number plate round so that was not upside down.
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

I fitted indicators to the G3/LS that I recently built up from various boxes of bits. I chose the larger Lucas indicators as fitted to the 1970s Triumphs (and other bikes of the period). I figured that they were big enough to be seen and had a retro period look about them. They're fitted in place of the headlamp bolts at the front and in place of the grab-handle bolts at the rear. Originally I had an electronic flasher relay and LED bulbs but the flasher relay proved unreliable, the flash rate continuously varying from very slow to very fast. The LED bulbs worked ok but the light from them was projected forward and didn't illuminate the whole of the orange lens which meant that when I was riding, I couldn't see if the front indicators were working. I changed the relay for an 'old fashioned' 3 pin bi-metallic strip relay and fitted 18w incandescent lamps. The "P" pin on the relay is connected to a buzzer fitted into the headlamp shell and an warning lamp mounted in a small stainless plate fitted under the left had fork cap nut. The system works very well although the warning lamp could be brighter. As an additional indication, there is a pronounced discharge indication on the ammeter when the indicators are actually on.
picture128.jpg
picture132.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
Expat

Post by Expat »

All interesting and good advice. I recently fitted a set of led flashers after deciding the smaller, incandescent type first fitted were dragging the battery down on my short, occasional commute runs.

The led units are black torpedo style and both sets came from Paul Goff. Think I need to get a repeater lamp or buzzer though.

;)
Keep shiny side up.

These are my principles, if you don’t like them, I have others. (Groucho Marx)
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

I have do e the same as Expat. But used the chrome units. Used LED a d flasher unit now from elsewhere from elsewhere which means I can currently have LEDs at front and tungsten at rear.

Also need to fit repeater or squeaker as sometimes leave indicators on.

Trailer I pull also has LEDs at 6v.

Johnny B
rex.webb

Post by rex.webb »

SUPER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Pharisee
YHATS A SUPER JOB YOU HAVE DONE .
RIDE with CARE and LIVE LONG
To ENJOY YOUR
MOTOECY LONG AND SCOOTERING
r w webb