Welder

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
mikeydpippin

Welder

Post by mikeydpippin »

Thinking about buying a welder for welding footrests and general work, saw this but not sure if it's suitable.
Appreciate advise.

https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/Non-Food-Offe ... leId=14516
Mike
Mick D

Re: Welder

Post by Mick D »

Hi

I'm not a fan of 'gasless' MIG but appreciate not everyone wants the expense of a bottle - (eye wateringly expensive if you're with BOC :evil: )

It will probably work in experienced hands but will be less forgiving in those of a novice.

Not too sure of your intended use - it won't heat up footrests in order to straighten them but should cope with welds on plate up to around 4mm.

Check on the price / availability of the fluxed wire - you'll need some good gloves and clothing to shield you from the UV rays generated - you will very soon be looking for a flip down visor, (I could never get on with the hand held ones).

For the money don't expect too much but on the up side, it's got a three year warranty.

Regards Mick
alanengineer

Post by alanengineer »

Their are far better alternatives than fluxed wire. Hobby gasses are easy to obtain and not horrendously expensive. I found the tiny bottles of gas sold at Machine Mart very expensive and unreliable, to the point where i never got to mig weld properly until i got a hobby gas bottle and regulator.
Expensive to set up that way but worth it. I find Tig much better for restoration stuff, but a lot slower
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

I paid £130 for a MIG welder many years ago. It has a gas bottle. I've never got round to using it yet. I do recall it reading only suitable for up to 4 m.m. I have a Gas welder that takes bottles I have used. Run out of bottles I can longer get now. I used that mainly for pluming work.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

In very many years of bike fettling I've only needed something welded maybe half a dozen times and there are several people locally to whom I and other pals turn: Car body repairer (in a pig farm shed) for heavy stuff and a couple of retired chaps for small jobs. Mostly at the cost of a drink if they'll take it. Same with turning and milling. It's not so much about having the equipment but having the skills to use it. I can't sharpen a wood chisel or drills satisfactorily.
A couple of years ago in a French market this chap made a superb job of my Opinel knife. (No, the old boy watching isn't me!):
CNV00020_01 (640x429).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
pkr87

Post by pkr87 »

I have used Mig welders for Donkey's years and have found that a gasless Mig creates more problems than it solves. I cancelled my BOC account and now get Argon, Oxygen and Acetylene from Hobby gasses. These are much cheaper. It is possible to weld larger than 4 mm but takes patience and a bit of skill. Mig welding is not really suitable for cast iron but can be used for welding Aluminium but that needs different gasses and wire.
Paul R

Post by Paul R »

Mig is good for most bike related jobs . I regularly use mine for such as fixing splits in old mudgards and general welding stuff . A matter of practice to get the best out of the smaller machines . I found that investing in a flip up auto darkening helmet makes a world of difference to how easy they are to use and going for gas rather that gasless helps you to see clearly what is going when you start . Different gases will let you weld stainless and alloy ( tricky!). The setup advertised I think would be frustrating to use as is with a hand held shield and somewhat limiting . Gas; I go through about 3 bottles a year of the disposables but I do a fair bit of welding , offset this against fluxed wire is more expensive anyway. I paid just over £100 secondhand for a mig and been very happy with it so far . Just my 2pennyworth for what its worth . If you do aquire one it is amazing how many jobs seem to gravitate your way after a short while . Good luck.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Paul R wrote:Mig is good for most bike related jobs . I regularly use mine for such as fixing splits in old mudguards........
:oops: :oops: :oops:
Split guard (640x480).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'