1941 Matchless - How to check if Breather is working?

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
phenry

1941 Matchless - How to check if Breather is working?

Post by phenry »

Greetings. I'm trying to fix the breather to my crankcase and I do see a small plate. I am now wondering how this operates or how do I even know if this is working right?
The cases are apart and is there anything that I need to check before I start with the restoration

Regards
Mick D

Re: 1941 Matchless - How to check if Breather is working?

Post by Mick D »

Hi

The breather is a simple floating disc type which allows the free passage of air in one direction and restricts it in the other. As long as the disc is free to move in the housing and not damaged or distorted the breather should work.

Clean and inspect the release valve, (breather), body STD-836 and release valve diaphragm STD-835, if all OK re-assemble.

You can confirm it's operation by blowing air from either direction - it should pass air into the crank case with little or no restriction - you should notice a definite restriction to air passing out of the crank case.

Regards Mick
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

Mick D wrote: You can confirm it's operation by blowing air from either direction - it should pass air into the crank case with little or no restriction - you should notice a definite restriction to air passing out of the crank case.

Regards Mick
I'd have thought that it would have been the other way round.... Easy flow out of the crankcase and restricted flow back in.
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
clive

Post by clive »

I agree, the breather is there to allow air to escape rapidly from below the piston during the firing stroke so it should allow air out and restrict going into the crankcase. The little disc can get damaged so its worth checking the function.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

I'm going to have to check with the engine running - I thought the out flow was through the drive side bearing and the inner chain case.

I don't believe either port in the later alternator engine is of sufficient size to allow the venting of the mass of air displaced by the piston when the engine is running.

Regards Mick
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

clive wrote:I agree, the breather is there to allow air to escape rapidly from below the piston during the firing stroke so it should allow air out and restrict going into the crankcase.
That's my understanding too.
I don't think the designer would have specified the short piece of downward pointing breather pipe if it was to allow air into the c/case as this would have 'sucked up' dusty air from the road (into the main bearings) rather than dribbling oil mist onto the ground.
I've seen bikes with the breather extended into a 'catchpot' that collects the exiting oil.
I see Mick's point though that it's a rather small diameter outlet to cope with the volume of displaced air............although some air must also exit through the main bearings into the chaincase.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

It probably works a bit like a pump. Once the engine is running, air is forced out through the valve quicker than it can be sucked back in so there will be a depression in the crankcase. The valve doesn't have to allow the full volume to be displaced on every down-stroke so the small bore tube is probably big enough.
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

The crank case must breath to allow gas which passes the piston rings to vent, I don't think it's got much to do with the piston displacement, (why would twins need one if that was the case?)

Regards Mick
clive

Post by clive »

Mick D wrote:Hi

The crank case must breath to allow gas which passes the piston rings to vent, I don't think it's got much to do with the piston displacement, (why would twins need one if that was the case?)

Regards Mick
And here's me thinking that both pistons rise and fall at the same time on the twins, i have even timed the wrong piston at tdc. So thats double the crankcase pressure! My experience of blow by from the rings on the single is that the breather then vents an oily smoke on tickover.

However which is the cause blow by from the rings or piston movement, the point of the vent is to allow air OUT of the crankcase not IN.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

:oops:

I'll get my coat

Regards Mick