Clutch Sticks When Left Overnight

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Mick D

Clutch Sticks When Left Overnight

Post by Mick D »

Hi

I have an issue which I don't recall having when I last rode my 61 G3 back in the seventies - if I leave the bike overnight or longer the clutch sticks resulting in a clunky first gear selection unless I free it before starting. After freeing it performs faultlessly until the next lay up.

There is no damage to the plates, centre or basket and the adjustment is correct, I am using the correct volume of Castrol GP50 in the chain case, the clutch has no tendency to drag or slip.

Whilst it's not difficult to live with, (as long as I remember to free the clutch before the first start), I'd prefer the clutch not to stick when left overnight.

Have others experience this issue and If so, did you solve it or are you just living with it?

Regards Mick
Rob Harknett

Re: Clutch Sticks When Left Overnight

Post by Rob Harknett »

Had this during all the years I have been riding bikes. So got in the habit of pulling in the clutch kicking over a couple of times etc. almost every time I started my bike. Certainly every morning going to work, and evening coming home.
Harry44

Post by Harry44 »

I was taught to clear the clutch before starting a British bike when I first learnt to ride. So I just thought it was normal.

Non of my Japanese bikes have suffered from it but my Wife's Suzuki does after a winter lay up so I just stick a cable tie around the lever and bar. Although I wouldn't do that with a hydraulic clutch.
si is does non opportunus vos postulo a maior pango
bitza

Post by bitza »

Same problem in my youth, my tiger 110 clutch did the same, do what has been suggested pull in clutch lever swing the kickstart over,
Should engage clean after, I think most old Brit bikes had this malady when standing.
robcurrie

Post by robcurrie »

Too much oil in the primary chaincase and oil got onto the clutchplares.

Rob C
cbranni

Post by cbranni »

My dad always told me free the clutch first as it also checks you are in neutral.

Colin
only dead fish go with the flow
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Hi Mick

Its normally a Triumph malady, I thought AMC clutches were immune my G3 never sticks however my M30 almost always does, I use a thinner SAE20 in the primary, never really got on with ATF.

Edit:

My 1937 250 can stick so much that it needs stripping to free it, I usually leave an innertube elastic band over the end handlebars and clutch lever to just hold the pressure off without compressing the clutch springs when it is parked up for any great time.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

I did buy a bike that had been almost restored, inc. a new clutch. I got it running, but the alternator was not much good. It was another couple of years before I actually finished it off. Buy then the clutch had stuck and would not even come apart. Another new clutch had to be fitted. Bikes with old used clutch plates, straight off the jumble stall have never stuck like that. Just the usual couple of kicks with the lever in first procedure OK.
bob121

Post by bob121 »

Normally cleaning the oil off the plates works. Had to do it with some T140's recently. Although when I removed my m31 clutch the other week, I noticed that they were sticking again and it was oil again.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi and thanks for the responses

I'm almost certain I didn't have this issue in the seventies on any of my bikes, (Matchless, Triumph, Velocette and BSA), but then my memory sometimes glorifies the 'good old days'.

Although I find it counter intuitive I'll revisit the oil level in the chain case and see if I can drop it a little - if that doesn't work I'll get into the habit of freeing the clutch before starting.

To correct an error in my previous post - I'm using Castrol XL30 in the engine and primary chain case.

Regards Mick