Exhaust fixing

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
mikeydpippin

Exhaust fixing

Post by mikeydpippin »

I,m having problems getting a new front pipe for my 63 G80.
Armours have sent a second front pipe and a bracket ( this exhaust came from a 1950,s G80) the front pipe fits good and the silencer fits on the bracket, but as you can see the threaded post on the front pipe and my front fixing doesn't line up.
Any ideas of what I can do to get a good fixing, photos show new exhaust ( unwrapped) and with bracket hanging on front pipe threaded bolt.
EB5E6D54-2892-4020-84B7-B3DC1BC1AEA3.jpeg
9666C4D9-D294-423D-961C-24CB7E133A97.jpeg
2E7DE70F-1DCE-4A5B-B4B7-2B6AC19D9A34.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike
OEW591

Re: Exhaust fixing

Post by OEW591 »

Looking at Armours website, the pipe they have sent looks like the 1950 - 1954 pipe. I think you'd be better off with the 1955 - 1962 pipe. The 1962 on pipe is for a short-stroke engine, your bike is the last of the long-strokes.

I'll need a new pipe for my 1963 Model 18 soon, so I'm interested in what you end up fitting.
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

As far as I'm aware those exhaust supports on your frame were only used on the twins. All my singles have bent bits of flat bar with mounting holes drilled in each end to attach to the pipe stud and onto the frame/engine stud.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

The pipe for chrome frame screw on fitting you have, would need to have a bracket . The bracket having an elongated hole to give adjustment. The pipe then bolts onto the fitting you have.
Ashampoo_Snap_2018.07.06_17h45m05s_001_.png
Try this bracket, so simply to make if you cannot get the correct chrome one in a hurry. Note slots each end of this bracket. You may even be happy with a home made bracket painted black.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Rob Harknett wrote:The pipe for chrome frame screw on fitting you have, would need to have a bracket . The bracket having an elongated hole to give adjustment. The pipe then bolts onto the fitting you have.
Try this bracket, so simply to make if you cannot get the correct chrome one in a hurry. Note slots each end of this bracket. You may even be happy with a home made bracket painted black.
That is the bracket I have on my singles Rob and they're black not chrome and it bolts straight to the frame and the stud onto the pipe. No singles I've seen use the screw on chromed exhaust support, as stated the short mounting in the photo I've only ever seen fitted to twins. You're correct that the only way the current set up would work is if there is a corresponding plate plate with an elongated slot welded onto the exhaust pipe but again I've never seen a single with that setup only ever a welded stud on a front pipe for a single.
mikeydpippin

Post by mikeydpippin »

Thanks for the info, I sent Armours the old front pipe that fitted, and this is the one that is a closest match.
I will remove the chrome “ longnut” on the frame and cut and drill chrome plate that they gave me.
Hopefully I can bolt directly to the long bolt with a spacer behind 🤞🤞🤞🤞

Photo shows my old pipe which fits like a tee, and the 62on Armours pipe as you can see the brackets are way out...

6D948CE0-4FA3-4289-9D2E-0FC2D4E2B71E.jpeg
Mike
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

ajscomboman wrote:
Rob Harknett wrote:The pipe for chrome frame screw on fitting you have, would need to have a bracket . The bracket having an elongated hole to give adjustment. The pipe then bolts onto the fitting you have.
That is the bracket I have on my singles Rob and they're black not chrome and it bolts straight to the frame and the stud onto the pipe. No singles I've seen use the screw on chromed exhaust support, as stated the short mounting in the photo I've only ever seen fitted to twins. You're correct that the only way the current set up would work is if there is a corresponding plate plate with an elongated slot welded onto the exhaust pipe but again I've never seen a single with that setup only ever a welded stud on a front pipe for a single.
I have had both types on 1955 single Rob. I had the pipe with the bracket and hex support fitting (022760 ) on a 55 G3LS bike I brought when only 9 months old. I had the same on a G3LS I brought in 1986. When I got a new Amours exhaust system back then, the pipe was shorter without baffles but had a stud, not a bracket. So I had to get the angled bracket to suit. It was chrome plated. The angled bracket was used on singles up to 1955 with stud on the pipe. 1956 it changed on singles to the hex end fitting ( 022760 ) and bracket on the pipe. This may have been phased in during the 1955 year. I am sure the change in 56 to hex part 022760 must have been interchangeable with some earlier years, certainly on my 55 single.
Ashampoo_Snap_2018.07.06_21h03m54s_002_.png
Before you make an angled bracket, I can give you approx. sizes. It needs to be about right, so it holds the pipe tight fully in the head.
chrome or black bracket.jpg
Rob if you only had 11 penny's you got a black bracket. If you had 3 shillings and 1 penny you could have got a chrome one. As I have a chrome bracket my bikes worth 2 shillings and 2 pennies more than yours. I wonder why they made them Chrome or Black, which was used probably depended on the model at some time??? Can't be bothered to look in books to check that out.
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Rob Harknett wrote:
ajscomboman wrote:
I have had both types on 1955 single Rob. I had the pipe with the bracket and hex support fitting (022760 ) on a 55 G3LS bike I brought when only 9 months old. I had the same on a G3LS I brought in 1986. When I got a new Amours exhaust system back then, the pipe was shorter without baffles but had a stud, not a bracket. So I had to get the angled bracket to suit. It was chrome plated. The angled bracket was used on singles up to 1955 with stud on the pipe. 1956 it changed on singles to the hex end fitting ( 022760 ) and bracket on the pipe. This may have been phased in during the 1955 year. I am sure the change in 56 to hex part 022760 must have been interchangeable with some earlier years, certainly on my 55 single.
Ashampoo_Snap_2018.07.06_21h03m54s_002_.png
Before you make an angled bracket, I can give you approx. sizes. It needs to be about right, so it holds the pipe tight fully in the head.
chrome or black bracket.jpg
Rob if you only had 11 penny's you got a black bracket. If you had 3 shillings and 1 penny you could have got a chrome one. As I have a chrome bracket my bikes worth 2 shillings and 2 pennies more than yours. I wonder why they made them Chrome or Black, which was used probably depended on the model at some time??? Can't be bothered to look in books to check that out.

You must have been rich then, I'll have to stick with black paint. :rofl: :rofl:

Interesting, not seen the short support on many singles but plenty of bent brackets. I'll have look at all singles now.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

In 1957 the hex support type stud extension was 4 shillings and 9 pence. ( Nearly two hours wages ) So much more expensive than a 11 penny black bent bracket.
An exhaust system is something that would have got replaced early in the bikes life Rob. By the end of the 50's both types of pipe & fitting in use. Either being OK. Like wise black or chrome fitting for one of the types. In recent years the type using the angled bracket seems to be the one that got reproduced. Both the bikes I had in the 50's 60's and those I have now, I changed to bent bracket type system. I guess that's why you seldom see only bikes with the angled bracket today. So any post 55 single is wrong. I actually picked up about 4 chrome versions of the angled bracket quite cheap years ago at a jumble. They were a bracket for something, never had an elongated slot. I used them on my pre war AJS twin ports. Also made chrome hanging straps for silencers from them. I am sure I recall I had to twist them a bit to line up with frame and pipe studs.
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Rob Harknett wrote:In 1957 the hex support type stud extension was 4 shillings and 9 pence. ( Nearly two hours wages ) So much more expensive than a 11 penny black bent bracket.
An exhaust system is something that would have got replaced early in the bikes life Rob. By the end of the 50's both types of pipe & fitting in use. Either being OK. Like wise black or chrome fitting for one of the types. In recent years the type using the angled bracket seems to be the one that got reproduced. Both the bikes I had in the 50's 60's and those I have now, I changed to bent bracket type system. I guess that's why you seldom see only bikes with the angled bracket today. So any post 55 single is wrong. I actually picked up about 4 chrome versions of the angled bracket quite cheap years ago at a jumble. They were a bracket for something, never had an elongated slot. I used them on my pre war AJS twin ports. Also made chrome hanging straps for silencers from them. I am sure I recall I had to twist them a bit to line up with frame and pipe studs.
Well it's furthered my knowledge of later road singles, but the comps used the angle bracket as the pipes tuck in tighter to the frame. It's useful to know though. :)