1967 G3 Rear Mudguard fittings

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
Mick D

Re: 1967 G3 Rear Mudguard fittings

Post by Mick D »

Hi

The way you currently have it the mudguard is sitting on the sleeves and not restrained, it will rattle and chatter leading to blown bulbs, vibration and excess noise. If you take the nuts out from within the tubes will the sleeve nuts not fit the correct way? if not you need to source the correct, (longer), bolts.
Odd Nut.png
Regards Mick
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

011 G3 at Crich.jpg
The picture of the unrestored G3 referenced earlier is my bike, largely untouched since I acquired it from my Uncle in 1980. If you need any pictures, please let me know and I'll try to help. The picture was taken at Crich Tramway Museum at the weekend....

G
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mako

Post by Mako »

Hi G-Man,

That's great bike. My original aim was to lightly restore the bike - only paint what was absolutely necessary, but the more I made repairs the more apparent it became that all paintwork/tin-ware would have to be done.

All other parts have been scrubbed clean and have come up well, it's just a shame the previous owner trashed the bike.

I have resolved the rear mounting issue by adjusting the spacer collars and it all goes together nicely. The mudguard is still slightly twisted (less so than before) but I think that is more down to 40yrs of storage taking its toll. It is now about 3/4" off centre at the tail end of the mudguard.

One strange issue I'm having is the two-part panel between the oil tank and reservoir. The two halves do not align when mounted to the frame - they are out about 3/8". They are supposedly original to the bike but the misalignment horizontally would suggest otherwise.

One final conundrum I have is the battery/toolbox frame. I have two sets of these both in different states of disrepair/shape. The covers are fine (one slightly beaten up and requiring filler to the rear curve), but the fit to the frames are poor whichever way round I try them. Did they ever fit snuggly, or am I hoping for too much?

Matt
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

Hi Matt

Th centre covers appear to be OK on my bike but it's probably 20 years since I looked at them carefully. I can get some picture if that might help. As for the toolbox the cover fits but needs a little persuasion.It stays put (usually) once it's on the bike but again I can get you some measurements or pictures at the weekend. Whatever is most useful to you. I've known my bike since it was new as my Uncle took me out on it for trips around Wiltshire.

G
Mako

Post by Mako »

Hi G-Man,

I don't need any measurements, but thanks for the offer. The covers fit but need persuading, and I always feel they're ready to fly off given a chance. I'll have to tweak the frames to get a better fit.

One measurement that would be handy is for the two-part cover between the oil reservoir and the battery cover. As mentioned before the mounting holes for each part are different meaning that the two parts do not align when fitted to the frame.

The top half when mounted aligns with the frame and the carb so I'm going to assume that this is correct. The lower half is offset to one side when fitted to the frame. All frame mounts are straight - the holes are simply in different locations! I think my only option is two find/purchase a new matching set to replace the ones I have.
Centre cover small 01.jpg
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

You might want to swap your swinging arm bearing end covers around - you won't have any access to the filler point when the chainguard and primary chain case is installed, it should be on the timing side.

Ooops - I see I've already drawn your attention to this - I'll get my coat :oops:

Regards Mick
Last edited by Mick D on Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reynard24

Post by Reynard24 »

The hexagonal spacer you have fitted to the bottom panel fixing hole should be in the top hole. The panels are a nightmare to align properly with the curve of the toolbox and oiltank and on one of my bikes I've used thin U section car door trim moulding to keep the two together as the distance between them and the tank etc was just too big for the eye not to notice them. I also use loctite on the threads to keep the screws in place.
The toolbox lids are also a poor fit on most of the bikes I've seen. On all of my bikes the lids will fit over the toolbox frame but I've had to adjust the screw hole on some and simply use a large diameter stainless 1/4" washer to hide the resultant larger hole, luckily there is a recess in the lid to accommodate this and in my opinion looks better than simply having the screw there. Once tightened though, none of mine have ever come loose.
Mako

Post by Mako »

Hi Mick,

I still haven't got round to moving the swing arm cover! But I did completely overlook the fact that the chaincase would limit access to it.

Reynard,

I have a hex spacer fitted for the top half already which gives the correct alignment with the tool box loosely fitted. The second spacer is for the bottom half which I have offered up but left off when taking photos.

I suppose it's some consolation that the tool boxes are all poorly fitting, and will endeavour to make mine work!
The screw fixing for the cover is next to useless so I will have to work something out for a better 'nut' in the frame for the screw to lock into.

I will add a photo tomorrow of the bottom half of the cover/panel to better illustrate the alignment problems I have.

Thanks for the tips!
Reynard24

Post by Reynard24 »

Hi Matt, the bottom panel should have a tubular distance piece already on it almost like an elongated cone. None of mine have the spacer on the bottom as you have fitted and it's usually the top panel that doesn't fit well against the curve of the tool box etc. I've seen a few later bikes where these panels are missing, one of mine came without them, so they were probably just junked at the time but I think they do look better when they are fitted. The hybrid G15 variants don't use them.