file uploding says file empty,

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Rob Harknett

file uploding says file empty,

Post by Rob Harknett »

Looks like website for the forum has used up all space allowed to upload files, getting massage saying file is empty again. Will inform Eamonn, he will sort when time allows.
Eamonn
Webmaster

Re: file uploding says file empty,

Post by Eamonn »

Cleared some old files out and it seems to be working OK again.
Corners like a Lego man
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

That is something I had to do quite often for the Prewar yahoo group Eamonn. Not had to do it now for many years since allowed space went up. Last time I looked we were only using 23% of allowance. Files are however all motor cycle related. Unlike our club forum in which many pictures posted have nothing to do with motor cycles or the topic. Perhaps a new rule is needed to stop these pictures etc. clogging up our allowance. ( Some one has to say it, so I'll have to take it on the chin from those that disagree )
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Rob Harknett wrote:.......many pictures posted have nothing to do with motor cycles or the topic. Perhaps a new rule is needed to stop these pictures etc. clogging up our allowance.
Wot, no holiday snaps?
No worries, I'm away to France in my motorhome tomorrow for as long as it takes to get bored ;)
Unless I can (be bothered to) fathom out how to use my new Samsung Tablet thingy, I'll be on internet silence.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Guess the forum system filled up again quickly with IJR pictures. So far no pictures of 2018 IJR in the provided photo's section to see..
Janet

Post by Janet »

Some people have prioritised other things to do before they can sort out pictures to upload
Rob Harknett wrote: So waiting for ̶n̶e̶w̶s̶ photos has to be expected.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Indeed Janet, however many pictures were uploaded during the IJR to the forum daily.
Eamonn
Webmaster

Post by Eamonn »

If anyone's interested here's the technical reason why we experience the file uploading problem now and then (though not too technical!)…

Our web server has two drives -a C and D drive (very similar to a standard PC or laptop)
The C drive is mainly reserved for Windows and the associated programs
The D drive is associated with the website information, including the uploaded pictures

When a new picture is to be loaded into the Forum, the Forum program first loads it into a temporary area on the C drive and once it's been checked to be of the right format, size etc., it gets moved into the D drive into its final place.

The problem we experience is when the temporary space on drive C gets too small, the picture can't be loaded - there's plenty of space on the D drive but the picture needs to be validated before it gets moved there.

So the simple solution would be to increase the drive C space? Yes, but that requires unloading the Windows system, increasing the space and then reloading Windows and reloading all the associated programs again. This process takes me about 3 or 4 days of work (others may be able to do it faster of course…!) and to have our systems unavailable for that length of time would be inconvenient for the Forum users, but totally unacceptable for the spares business.

The principle solution to this is to take out a new contract for a new bigger server - this new server can then be set up behind the scenes and made ready so that the Jampot systems can be switched from the old to the new server. However the set up of a new server and the associated programs and files all takes time (measured in days not hours) and at present I can't get enough time to do all this.

So for now we have to regularly empty out any old unwanted files on drive C and this frees up sufficient space for a couple of months until we see the problem again. It's not how I want to run the systems, it's not how they should be run, but for now it's the best we can achieve with our current resources.

(geek hat removed now...!)
Corners like a Lego man
clive

Post by clive »

Rob Harknett wrote:Indeed Janet, however many pictures were uploaded during the IJR to the forum daily.
I think the majority of those were mine Rob. I explained at the time the hassle of altering the size of a photo before it can be uploaded to the club website. However in the face of requests I did so. It entailed emailing myself with the photos and compressing them during the attachment. Then downloading them to place on forum. I then deleted them to maintain space on the phone. Really could not be bothered to do it all again. I know it is the problem of space on our website but I can just download straight away on Facebook regardless of the size. I assume they compress before showing them. Pity our site cannot do the same.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

clive wrote:
Rob Harknett wrote:Indeed Janet, however many pictures were uploaded during the IJR to the forum daily.
I think the majority of those were mine Rob. I explained at the time the hassle of altering the size of a photo before it can be uploaded to the club website. However in the face of requests I did so. It entailed emailing myself with the photos and compressing them during the attachment. Then downloading them to place on forum. I then deleted them to maintain space on the phone. Really could not be bothered to do it all again. I know it is the problem of space on our website but I can just download straight away on Facebook regardless of the size. I assume they compress before showing them. Pity our site cannot do the same.
Exacly Clive, also pics probably taken via a phone. If taken by a camera, they need more work to upload. As Janet says, this needs doing upon return from the rally. However it is notable the forum / facebook is used more now. Gradually making tech tips and photos section redundant. Also takes away some items that in the past would have been featured in Jampot magazine. This is quite noticeable in Jampot, which now has more longer articles and fewer bits and pieces. Pictures can be taken quite easily from the forum and facebook. But takes time which I have plenty of.