Ferrule Crimping

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Mick D

Ferrule Crimping

Post by Mick D »

Hi

I'd like to tidy up my fuel pipelines by removing the Jubilee type clips / fitting crimped ferrules and am considering buying a crimping tool of this design, does anyone have any experience of using this type of tool who could comment on it's effectiveness?
Ferrule Crimper.png
Regards Mick
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rob Harknett

Re: Ferrule Crimping

Post by Rob Harknett »

There are special kits for Ferrell's. Kits come with a selection of parts to suit various dia ferrules / pipe. Using clear plastic pipe I never had any luck with my kit. Ferrules seemed to distort look messy and still not hold tight. That's with new plastic pipe which soon hardens. I probably did not have ferrules correct for the pipe, they seemed quite a tight fit on the pipe, but tool compressed the wings flat. Still not griping the ferrule tight on the pipe.
bob121

Post by bob121 »

Mine works fine. But have only ever used it on the traditional black rubber fuel lines. No leaks and looks tidy.
cbranni

Post by cbranni »

Hi Mick, I bought the rubber pipe and ferrules from Steven Surbey and made a tool very much like in your photo, the ferrules were a nice fit in the pipe so didn't need much crimping and they don't leak.
I can send you some photos if you want.

Kind regards
Colin
only dead fish go with the flow
REW

Post by REW »

As confirmed by others, the tool works a treat. I used stainless ferrules from, I think, club stores. Far easier on the eye than jubilee clips.
Ron

1951 Matchless G3L thumping round the Durham Dales.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Interesting. Seems I was doing wrong by using that clear plastic pipe. Which may have been slightly smaller O/S dia also would not compress.
g5wqian

Post by g5wqian »

i have used it with clear pipes and it worked fine with the 1/4" pipe , although i purchased the pipe and ferrules and tool from same supplier .
the pipe was very clear at first but soon turned the normal period look of yellow shade of clear after a week or two .
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Thanks All

Sounds promising - I'm particularly interested in the comments regarding use with clear plastic pipe as this is the route I intend to go.

g5wgian - would you mind letting me know which supplier you used?

Regards Mick
Dixter

Post by Dixter »

I've used it for decades. It holds up well enough, but does yellow and stiffen over many years. As there is little to no pressure, the only concern is touching a hot exhaust. It is readily available at the local building centre, and I generally heat the hose and its ferrule with a hot air gun before crimping.

Ciao,
Dick
Dick Casey
The RideNut
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Fly in ointment from mee, I find that the on the Matchless even without crimping the ferrules over the pipe the fit is good enough that the pipes don't leak.

Johnny B