1967 G3 Rear Mudguard fittings

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
Mako

1967 G3 Rear Mudguard fittings

Post by Mako »

Hi All,

My first post here, so please be kind.

I am restoring my father's 1967 G3 that he bought in 1979 and was a complete basket case. He dismantled it and it followed him/us around for 40-odd years in boxes being kept in the garage. I am now finishing the restoration of it using as many of the original parts as possible. As you can imagine in 40yrs some fixings etc have walked and, being a late model, the parts list is 'less than full' in the manuals.

Problem no.1:
The forks are Norton Roadholders, but the mudguard and mounting bridge I have has different spacing between the two mounting points on the fork lowers. Does anyone know if Norton or AMC/Matchless shared parts? Also would anyone know where I can get the correct bridge for the forks that will fit the Matchless mudguard?

Problem no.2:
The rear mudguard supports leave me a little baffled. The bolts to the top of the rear suspension are very close to the hole in the mudguard I have. I am sure that I am missing a part (or parts) to ensure the mudguard mounts correctly as it doesn'y seem right that only the grab rails and the mount down by the swing arm pivot are the only ones. Does anyone with a late model G3 have pics or part numbers that I can reference? (See 1 and 2 in the pic)

Any thoughts or pointers would be much appreciated,

Matt
0007.jpg
20170415_125650 small.jpg
G3 Notes Rear Mudguard.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mick D

Re: 1967 G3 Rear Mudguard fittings

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Do you still have the original mudguard? are there any tell tale holes on it to give you a clue?

The earlier G3s had a bolt which ran through the frame cross member at the top rear of the oil tank / tool box - could there have been a saddle bracket there? (as you don't seem to have a hole).

As an aside, you may have the swinging arm end caps on the wrong sides - the one on the timing side should have a filler screw in it to keep the oil level topped up, it could be obscured by the oil pipes in your photo, (in which case I'd re-locate it to the three o'clock position).

Regards Mick
Mako

Post by Mako »

Hi Mick,

Thanks for the swing arm advice. Didn't spot that I'd put it on the wrong side, or realise that it was side sensitive.

The mudguard that I have is likely to be the correct one for the later models. I believe my father bought it some time in the 80s as a job-lot with some Norton wheels, fork stanchions, headlamp and two front mudguards - all of which relate to the late G3. It has two holes to the rear - one for the grab rails and another a couple of inches further back for a rack/bracket mount. It then has a larger single hole (one each side) that aligns with the top suspension mounting points.

The grab rails I have are the originals and have a single rear hole for a bolt to fix them to the mudguard.

The larger, forward hole aligns with the top suspension bolts, but the bolts are not long enough to support the mudguard. In my mind there should be a rod/tube/spacer of some kind to extend (and provide a decent connection) into the mudguard.

I will take some photos of the mudguard in place and also of it by itself to see if it reveals anything.

Matt
JEAN-NOEL

Post by JEAN-NOEL »

Hello Matthiew,
I think your rear mudgard is wrong.
Regarding the fitting, you must have 2 spacers between the grab rail and the mudguard on the top pivot bolts, a thin rubber washer, and i think a shouldered nut, as the hole in the mudguard is circa 3/4"diam.
When I visited him, 2 years ago, Steve SURBEY - AMC Classic Spares had a very original unrestored 1966 G3L, and I think he could help you to get the right items. Cheers
Mako

Post by Mako »

Hi Jean-Noel,

I think you are right regarding the missing spacers.

As for the mudguard being correct - I cannot be certain, everything lines up and a replacement is going to be very difficult to find.

I have sourced parts from Steve over the past few years so will give him an email or possibly organise to stop by his place with my bike loaded in a friends' van.

You mention the shouldered nut - I have what appears to be one of these. It has the correct thread to match the suspension bolt and is the right diameter to be a good fit in the mudguard hole. Problem is I only have one.....

I will post a pic later for reference.

It probably is used somewhere else on the bike, but fits and would solve the issue!

Thanks for the help!
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

There's a photo of a 66 G3 which shows a much different rear mudguard to that in your photo:

http://www.jampot.com/pic_display.asp?id=1473

Using the search facility in the photos section is often quite helpful

Regards Mick
Mako

Post by Mako »

Hi Mick,

I have what appears to be the same mudguard - painted and ready to be installed. It's the mounting that has got me stumped.

Funnily enough, I have been using that photograph (and others) as a good visual reference, and motivation, for the past few years (I have been dragging my feet doing the work on the bike....)!!

Another good bike for reference was Richard Hobbs' one (also in the image search) that is only a handful of numbers away in registration plate numbers. He has posted a huge number of pictures on the internet over the years of his bike, but I have yet to find one detailing certain fittings.... I suppose I should really see if I can get hold of him directly via the forum.

Another problem I will have to tackle is getting hold of the correct 'cigar' silencer.

Matt
Reynard24

Post by Reynard24 »

Hi Matt,
Unfortunately Richard Hobbs is extremely poorly and is no longer a member of the club and does not use the forum or his own website any more so he will not be contactable. His bike is now owned by one of the helper elves at Kettering HQ.

As for the mudguard question I have two bikes with Norton Wheels and Forks and both have a different fitting for the rear mudguard, although both have the deep valanced guard as shown in the photo that Mick D posted. For one there are two spacers which fit between the mudguard, handle and the top suspension mount, these are about an inch and a half long. The second one has an aperture in the mudguard support/lifting handle into which a sleeve nut fits - I think you have this arrangement. Steve Surbey will be able to confirm and I'm sure he supplies the sleeve nuts.

There is a chap in the Czech Republic who supplies the cigar shaped silencers in 1 5/8" and 1 3/4" pipe sizes but his English is not that good and I can't find his details. I have one on my 1963 G3 but it's in poor shape cosmetically although sound - I will take it to Alldens in Market Rasen for them to copy in stainless at the end of the riding season - if you're not fixed up by then give me a shout.
James,
Mako

Post by Mako »

Hi James,

Thank for the info.

My father and Richard exchanged correspondence in the late 80s when the Classic Mechanics article was published and they then exchanged emails on a few occasions when he wrote his Mongeese blog. Unfortunately, due to lack of time, the conversations never got beyond the 'best of luck/feel free to contact me should you need any information' stage. A great shame as his knowledge on these late bikes and their quirks would have been invaluable.

With regards to the spacers I have simply repainted and rebuilt what was on the bike. Of course I have no idea whether this was a bodge from the 70s by the previous owner, or correct/original to the 1964 onwards model. I do have a single 3/4" spacer that matches the longer ones fitted for diameter (internal/external) that has original black paint on it. But as it seemingly has no home I am loathe to make it fit somewhere it shouldn't.

The exhaust downpipe and silencer I have is from a 50s bike, I think. While the downpipe is usable the silencer is shot to pieces.

If you do go ahead with the S/S system please let me know as I am definitely interested. If past summers are to go by, I will be lucky to finish painting the tank/tool box/oil reservoir and then sourcing the various missing nuts and bolts, such as the mudguard mounts!

If, Richard's G3 is in Kettering, I think I'll have to contact them and organise a trip there to take record pics and see how much information I can get from the bike and HQ!! Will also have to divert to see Steve at AMC if times allow.

Many thanks!
Mako

Post by Mako »

Please see pics of the mudguard and nut that I have. Not sure if the nut is for the mudguard or not, but I only have one.....

Also have included a pic of the bike prior to breaking it down. Any advice is welcome.
Rear Mudguard Mount 01.jpg
Rear Mudguard Mount 02.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.