Re: Gearbox

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
ChrisTheChippy

Post by ChrisTheChippy »

Hi all
Just an update on the progress of the G2 and a question for the forum. I have now completed the overhaul of the clutch and refitted it along with the rebuilt gearbox . Unfortunately the previous owner had fitted the primary chain with just the split pin to hold it together the plate underneath is missing . Obviously I can't fit it back like that so I will have to order a new link . Dread to think about the damage if that chain had parted in use and wonder what the po was thinking of.
As predicted fitting the new clutch rubbers was fun and because I had no spare clutch plates I had to make one . In the end I made one from half inch ply and bolted that to a piece of angle iron . A very difficult job you need 2 pairs of hands to fit the rubbers . Mission accomplished though and pleased with the outcome.
Now the question . Do in need to fit the rotor that bolts to the left hand side engine cover in order to check the spark ? I'm not sure if that just recharges the system or is necessary to produce a spark at the plug .
I am away this weekend but I can see the end of the job in site and will be pushing on when I get back.
Can't wait to hear this bike run .
Cheers Chris
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

The coil is supplied by the battery so you don't need the alternator to function to get a spark.

Regards Mick
ChrisTheChippy

Post by ChrisTheChippy »

Thanks Mike
Just what I wanted to hear. I can test for a spark now .
Cheers Chris
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

ChrisTheChippy wrote:Hi all
wonder what the po was thinking of.
Cheers Chris
well, on mine the PO had sheared off the key on the NS crank and then assembled the engine without the breather rotor at all and then fitted the shims that should go behind the crank sprocket (if needed to space it correctly so it is line with the clutch) on the crank up against the NS crank Flywheel....!!! then he proceeded to fit the crank gear the wrong way round so that the primary chain (duplex on mine) took chunks out of the alternator rotor
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
ChrisTheChippy

Post by ChrisTheChippy »

My goodness that sounds a bit horrendous Paul. I haven't split the cases on this one and as it's fairly low mileage I'm hoping he's not been in and ' fixed ' it . Mind you Speedo could have been changed just have to take a gamble I guess . We will find out soon .
Cheers Chris