Head stock bearing adjustment

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
Rob Harknett

Re: Head stock bearing adjustment

Post by Rob Harknett »

REW wrote:
SPRIDDLER wrote: we old sages won't last forever, unlike our bikes.
'Course we will, we're baby boomers!
I've more than double archived nearly all AJS & Matchless literature I've ever collected. So leave all that for the future generations to find. A few gems not found anywhere. Not even DVLA aware of, but accept as factual information. That covers all car, commercial & bike makes. That will not get lost when I go. I got DVLA to approve that via FBHVC. I have left notes, file passwords etc on my computer. Also years of back up files on disc's, for my son to find. Not to mention enough crates to fill a large van of paper copies , books etc. Nothing I have not yet archived will be lost. My son will discover where to find all formats.

Post by 1608 »

As I think already mentioned, it may not be obvious, but the top nut is the lock-nut and the lower one the adjuster. Manual says the h/bars should fall to either side under their own weight when properly adjusted. And, a common mistake is fitting one too many ball bearings, as Nev has mentioned.
Groily

Post by Groily »

Good, for once, to be below average then Spriddler.
Would the 'elderly' (older than me) please continue to age gracefully and healthily so that we young people can maintain our youthful status. 64 next time round is obviously just stripling status!
Big Pete

Post by Big Pete »

Thank you to all who have taken the time to reply. Again I apologise for not accessing on line information but I genuinely missed it, probably right in front of my face!. It is now downloaded. All I need to do now is get it off the ground lol.
Highlander, "There can be only one"…
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

I wonder why the stand cannot be used to get it off the ground. Does the bike not have a front stand? If not, the bike should rock on a centre stand. Although you may need something under it to get a little more height. It should not take much longer to adjust head bearings than the time it has taken me to type this.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Big Pete wrote:Again I apologise for not accessing on line information but I genuinely missed it, probably right in front of my face!. .
Not a problem at all Peter. I've been accessing the information in Christians Archive very frequently for fifteen years and I realise that information isn't a replacement for knowledge. It's a superb resource but some of the indexing system can seem a bit illogical therefore you have to know where the information is likely to be in order to start searching for it. :?
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
cbranni

Post by cbranni »

My mother would be pleased to know I was above average at 68, my school report always said "below average and must do better" :D :D

Colin
only dead fish go with the flow
alanengineer

Post by alanengineer »

I have always put my bikes on centre stand and maybe an extra bit of wood so the front wheel is clear of the ground and rocked the front wheel back and forth with my thumb on the bottom head bearing.

If the average age is 68, what chance have i got in catching up. Even my good youthful looks go against me
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

[quote="alanengineer"]I have always put my bikes on centre stand and maybe an extra bit of wood so the front wheel is clear of the ground and rocked the front wheel back and forth with my thumb on the bottom head bearing.

How long did it take to get it off to sleep? :D
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

alanengineer wrote:If the average age is 68, what chance have i got in catching up. Even my good youthful looks go against me
I'm catching up. When my sons were born I was twenty-five times their age, now I'm less than twice their age :)
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'