Ceandess Oil Tank Filler Caps

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Triumph-Legend

Ceandess Oil Tank Filler Caps

Post by Triumph-Legend »

Is there any interest in having a new Ceandess oil cap?
I refer to the 2.5 inch cap there has the recommended oils information text stamped onto it's surface as per the original part.

These a currently very hard to find in decent condition and have been known to mysteriously disappear from machines. I won't admit to the price I had to pay to obtain one in nice clean condition.

Some months ago I was speaking with Ceandess of Wolverhampton and we did discuss the cost of a new press tool to impress the text into the 2.5 inch caps. The tooling cost and required quantity numbers were not unrealistic. Also as the club would own the tooling, we could sell them in small batch quantities to other clubs or owners of other makes using similar caps.

2 inch cap picture.
https://ceandess.online/product/chrome- ... 2578005cab

Unfortunately the press tool used on the 2 inch cap won't worl on the larger diameter cap as the cap face profile is different. It was tried, but did not work.
577typhoon

Re: Ceandess Oil Tank Filler Caps

Post by 577typhoon »

Sounds like a good idea to me..... but why isn't the Spares Scheme leading on it? Apologies if I am jumping to the wrong conclusion.
Stuoyb

Post by Stuoyb »

Plain aftermarket caps are available and are generally accepted by most customers.
What we are talking about here is an original replica with the oil recommendations embossed on top.
Unless spares are made aware of sufficient demand then we don't know.
On numerous occasions we have raised the issue that if members are aware of a product/supplier and bring it forward then spares will fund it and there have been several examples of this in the last year.
However, despite best efforts, not all come to fruition as the age old problem of quantity v price does not make it economic.
There is no crystal ball.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

During which years were the embossed caps originally fitted? Aren't they a pretty restricted period?

Regards Mick
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Mick D wrote:Hi

During which years were the embossed caps originally fitted? Aren't they a pretty restricted period?

Regards Mick
I can only relate to prewar AJS oil tank caps. They were plain dome like caps unlike the Matchless pie crust type. Quite rare, almost impossible to find. I have only ever found one of this type of cap, embossed with oil type recommendations. The bikes manual tells correct grade of oil etc. A cap embossed with type of oil to use could be very misleading if intended for another make / year / model of bike, than the one it is fitted on.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

The Ceeandess one looks a bit 'tinny' and the stamping has rather dented/distorted the chrome lid. (No offence intended Adrian. Folk who actually DO anything are scarce).
Here's the oil tank cap on my '54 which had one previous owner (Rhodesian Police Force) and as Rob mentioned it only shows approved brands not grades and refers the owner to the handbook.
2018-05-16 Oil tank cap 007 (640x480).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Triumph-Legend

Post by Triumph-Legend »

Ceandess were the original supplies to most of the motorcycle manufacturers including the AMC group.
Their quality is second to none. I have a 2 inch variant a while back and it was excellent quality. Good thick material and plating with nicely embossed text.
Apparently the original embossing tool was lost in a fire some years ago, hence the scarcity of these oil caps and the need to produce a new embossing tool.
2.5inch oil tank cap.JPG
The picture is of an original cap. I managed to find a nice one for one of the other bikes, but it was quite expensive and I had to out bid several other people on the auction site to win this part.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
clive

Post by clive »

Never use mine because it needs rechroming but perhaps I should put it on eBay.......
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
bigwol

Post by bigwol »

Having bought a replacement cap which didn't seal a full tank I'd be interested in a good quality cap correctly embossed at reasonable cost. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable than me (possibly on their return from the IJR) could confirm the year models which originally had the embossed caps?
It does at first glance seem ideal for the spares scheme to take ownership, particularly if as said we can resell to other clubs?
It's all just riding motorbikes
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

If parts list are anything to go by, pt. no. 013324 was introduced 1950. ( So a 1950 tank or later is needed for this push on and turn cap ) Last year being 1955. Quite a few bikes of this same era are seen with the wrong petrol tank filler cap. Petrol tank caps also seem to be a bit rare to find. They should be flat top, not slightly domed.