Running, but not rolling!

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
Liam_Andrews

Running, but not rolling!

Post by Liam_Andrews »

Greetings, all

Novice mechanic on the scene with a delightful AJS Model 14 sat in the garage. This originally belonged to my grandfather, and then my father (where it sat still for some 19 years...!) before reaching my humble abode.

Pleasingly, she runs ok (and sounds as epic as they should!)

However, there is plenty of work that needs to be done to get her safe to use on the road. She's had an oil change, but'll need generally tightening up and cleaning almost everywhere. My first issue to tackle, however, is this:

On puling in the clutch and selecting first, she'll put some drive into the wheel before then coming to a stall. This suggests to me the clutch ain't doing what it is supposed to!

Before I strip down the gear box and have a look / clean of the clutch plates, is there anything else you'd recommend doing / checking over? I presume a new clutch cable would be worthwhile?

I'm sure this'll exist already as a question, but any links on where to get a parts list / exploded diagram etc? I've got the AJS Model 14 workshop manual, but if there is anything which you'd swear by, I'd be delighted to be introduced to it.

Many thanks all, and I look forward to posting the success of this project online as it (slowly) progresses.
clanger9

Re: Running, but not rolling!

Post by clanger9 »

Hi Liam,

Welcome to the joys of Lightweight ownership!

Put simply, you need this site in your life: http://archives.jampot.dk

http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Owners_manuals/ is a good place to start.
http://archives.jampot.dk/technical/Cut ... _drawings/ is the next place you should look.

Lightweights are easy to work on, but it can be difficult to find certain parts.
Happy reading... :D
1989 Moto Morini Dart 350
1993 Ducati 750SS
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

A rough and ready check to see if the drive is seized anywhere is to whip out the spark plug, put the bike into gear and see if you can turn the engine by rotating the rear wheel, try in all gears.

The issue could also be caused by poor carburation - partially blocked jets etc. or poor ignition timing.

Regards Mick
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

Sounds like you are going become a member very soon.
Roy
Janet

Post by Janet »

Roy, it seems that Liam has found us with perfect timing. Tomorrow being the first Thursday of the month, Hampshire section will be having a meeting from 7pm, venue below.

The Angel,
Gosport Road, (A32),
Privett, Alton.
GU34 3NN

I suggest he pops along there the meet the members who will happily converse all evening with him and gently explain the benefits of joining this wonderful club of ours. :D
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

Janet wrote:Roy, it seems that Liam has found us with perfect timing. Tomorrow being the first Thursday of the month, Hampshire section will be having a meeting from 7pm, venue below.

The Angel,
Gosport Road, (A32),
Privett, Alton.
GU34 3NN

I suggest he pops along there the meet the members who will happily converse all evening with him and gently explain the benefits of joining this wonderful club of ours. :D
Yes with Laurie the lightweight and Big boy Rob S I only wish I could be there.
Roy
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Liam_Andrews wrote:On puling in the clutch and selecting first, she'll put some drive into the wheel before then coming to a stall.
Before I strip down the gear box and have a look / clean of the clutch plates, is there anything else you'd recommend doing / checking over? I presume a new clutch cable would be worthwhile?
Welcome, Liam.
Stripping the gearbox isn't necessary to sort out the clutch.
It would be a good idea firstly to adjust the clutch (see workshop manual). Note that the adjuster on the clutch cable adjusts the slack (free movement) of the cable. It does not adjust the clutch.
You're on the right lines with cleaning the clutch plates as over time the old oil on the plates (which should be there) will be making the plates sticky. To check, pull in the clutch lever (in neutral) and operate the kickstart. It should depress quite easily without the engine turning over.
Only fit a new clutch cable if the inner of the old one is fraying or the conduit (the outer) is damaged or you suspect that it's sticking and making the action heavy.
There are many 'wise' things you could/should do after the 19 year lay-up (changing oils etc.) and the inner tubes and tyres will need replacing after 19 years but get the basics (and the grin!) sorted first, and join the club!
You're lucky that there are several Lightweight gurus on these Forums and at least one Lightweight ( :rofl: ) expert in the Hants section, easily recognised by the stack of Fray Bentos pies in his sidecar ;) )
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

SPRIDDLER wrote:
Liam_Andrews wrote:On puling in the clutch and selecting first, she'll put some drive into the wheel before then coming to a stall.
Welcome, Liam.
Stripping the gearbox isn't necessary to sort out the clutch.
It would be a good idea firstly to adjust the clutch (see workshop manual). Note that the adjuster on the clutch cable adjusts the slack (free movement) of the cable. It does not adjust the clutch.
You're on the right lines with cleaning the clutch plates as over time the old oil on the plates (which should be there) will be making the plates sticky. To check, pull in the clutch lever (in neutral) and operate the kickstart. It should depress quite easily without the engine turning over.
Only fit a new clutch cable if the inner of the old one is fraying or the conduit (the outer) is damaged or you suspect that it's sticking and making the action heavy.
There are many 'wise' things you could/should do after the 19 year lay-up (changing oils etc.) and the inner tubes and tyres will need replacing after 19 years but get the basics (and the grin!) sorted first, and join the club!
You're lucky that there are several Lightweight gurus on these Forums and at least one Lightweight ( :rofl: ) expert in the Hants section, easily recognised by the stack of Fray Bentos pies in his sidecar ;) )
Oih Sprid, I've moved onto Ginsters peppered steak slices now!!!!