Rough value

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
Boobensboobens

Rough value

Post by Boobensboobens »

Hi all, new to the group. My father in law has a 1939 Matchless G3L British Army which was restored 20 years ago. It has been parked in the garage ever since. It turns over and I assume will run and drive with a little time. We have some history and it was with the British Army. It is painted original army colours. What price would people put on the bike? Thanks.
Rob Harknett

Re: Rough value

Post by Rob Harknett »

WD and old bikes tend to get wrong parts, almost impossible to value. It depends how original condition etc. Then after all that, how much some one wants the bike, will reflect on how much it will sell for.
The bike is not a 1939 G3L. In 1939 you had the G3, there was 1940 G3 WO There were very few 1939 G3 WD bikes. Then came 1941 G3L.
All WD frame and engine number records survive. So it would be possible for the club to date the frame and engine.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Welcome, Craig.
A photo would possibly help and be of interest.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Boobensboobens

Post by Boobensboobens »

I'll try and get a few photos and the frame number. It was bought 50 plus years ago.
clive

Post by clive »

it will be worth a couple of bob more than the purchase price then. Assuming you are valuing it for sale you are welcome to place an advert in our adverts section, £5 for non members free for members.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
robcurrie

Post by robcurrie »

clive wrote:it will be worth a couple of bob more than the purchase price then. Assuming you are valuing it for sale you are welcome to place an advert in our adverts section, £5 for non members free for members.
Isn't this selling advertising, Clive :?
clive

Post by clive »

robcurrie wrote:
clive wrote:it will be worth a couple of bob more than the purchase price then. Assuming you are valuing it for sale you are welcome to place an advert in our adverts section, £5 for non members free for members.
Isn't this selling advertising, Clive :?
True, but I thought it preferable to advertise than to intervene as the Adverts Police if it was offered for sale on the forum!
clive
Boobensboobens

Post by Boobensboobens »

At no point did I say it was for sale. The value is a rough idea as it's being handed down to his son and he would like to give his daughter the rough value in money.
No need to panic robcurrie!!
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Boobensboobens wrote: it's being handed down to his son
Hi

In my opinion this is the best way to ensure continued use and patronage - the bike will have a meaning to the recipient and maybe, will be passed on again within the same family at a later date.
I know everyone's circumstances are different but 'in my head' an inheritance has far more meaning than a purchase - I intend to bequeath my bikes for that reason.
It can also provide a step up to vintage bike ownership that otherwise may not be possible - just one to mull over ;)

Regards Mick
clive

Post by clive »

Now the declared reason for valuation is made I will give an opinion by saying a post war 350 rigid would probably sell for £3900 and a WD model with history perhaps £4750. But there are WD owners out there in the forum who might have a better view of value. As Rob H says all depends on how "correct" it is. A 39 WD G3 bike would have Girder forks rather than the later teledraulic forks G3L, if the history is 39 bike but the later forks are fitted value might be affected.
clive