General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Andy51

Re: POPSIE WILL RISE!

Post by Andy51 »

Popsie is looking very good for her age - well done all involved! Andy
bjork

Post by bjork »

Janet wrote:I think you need a bigger shed.
He told me he was going to do this in the conservatory! :o Will have to bear the truth in mind when the Sarge asks the Blue Jobs for some help next time....miracles require luxury accommodation if the Crabs are to be involved. A reminder memo will be sent to REME. Conditions on the ground need to be secure and much more pleasant before we commit.
Using yesterdays technology to create tomorrows problems today
Tommy RE

Post by Tommy RE »

Janet,
The shed's big enough, but it has all my daughters and her partners stuff in it that needs to be shifted into their first house together. Unfortunately the moving date has had to be delayed due to finding out the ground floor was completely riddled with woodworm necessitating the replacement of all the floorboards and joists. meaning I am working in a restricted area but managing :roll: .

Tommy
Last edited by Tommy RE on Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:18 am, edited 4 times in total.
Tommy RE

Post by Tommy RE »

bjork wrote:
He told me he was going to do this in the conservatory! :o Will have to bear the truth in mind when the Sarge asks the Blue Jobs for some help next time....miracles require luxury accommodation if the Crabs are to be involved. A reminder memo will be sent to REME. Conditions on the ground need to be secure and much more pleasant before we commit.
Like all blue jobs, you have a selective memory and as you have visited my humble abode you know full well that I don't possess a conservatory. I told you quite clearly that this would be an in field exercise under normal REME/RE battlefield conditions in the summerhouse at the top of my garden as my garage has two other motorcycles , a lathe, milling machine pedestal drill two benches and a partly built 2" Clayton Under Type steam lorry occupying one of said benches. Conditions on the ground are secure with perimeter mine fields watch towers, guard dogs, barbed wire entanglements and the deployment of troops on 24 hour patrols.

I really think you ought to refrain from sniffing the contents of the petrol tanks of the various machines you have under your care. I'm told that petrol vapour can have an hallucinogenic effect. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Tommy RE

Post by Tommy RE »

Just a brief update to let those who may be interested as to how the rebuild is coming along. Dry rebuild was completed, but the purchase of their first house by my daughter and partner intervened (guess who foolishly said he'd build them a new kitchen which is now nearly complete awaiting second fix from the electricians who rewired the house) Christmas intervened and then nothing done due to the snow and bad weather.

Finished off the strip down during last weekend and gathered all the painty bits together in various boxes and have delivered them to Glenn David to do a sympathetic paint job which he says will be ready by the end of February. On that note, your views would be appreciated regarding said repaint. As mentioned before, I managed to salvage all of the tinware etc, but some parts escaped the ravages of the fire (painted piecrust oil tank cap which flew off on impact and the front and rear brake plates) it is my intention to leave these as they are to keep something of the original paintwork there. It is not my intention to make it pristine and better than it left the factory or to win any concourse prizes as that's not my thing, but to try and make it have the patinated look it had before the fire. What do you think?

Regards and a belated Happy New Year to all

Tommy RE
alanjennings

Post by alanjennings »

Hope to see you both in the summer!
Alan [Morini] Jennings
Expat

Post by Expat »

Neil, I reckon your idea will work, retaining the old but cared for look.

Regards, Steve
Keep shiny side up.

These are my principles, if you don’t like them, I have others. (Groucho Marx)
Tommy RE

Post by Tommy RE »

As can be seen by the pictures, I got the painty bits back from Glenn David and have been busily beavering away in between helping my Daughter and her fiancé re furbish their newly acquired mid 1960 house that needed an awful lot of work. I have taken literally dozens of photos of Popsie's progress and will be submitting them in due course to the Jampot editor with a more complete account of the rebuild.

I must admit that there were times following the fire that I felt like throwing in the towel. Rebuilding Popsie to her former splendour has been a source of therapy and has helped me come to terms with the trauma of the fire. I actually feel like getting on and riding when she's finished. I'm also going to try my hand a rebuilding the front wheel which despite best efforts just simply won't pass muster. I already have a new plain steel rim that I purchased from Devon Rim Company together with some correct butted spokes. It won't be long before I shall be able to fire her up for the first time since the accident and I am looking forward to enjoying the sound the engine that was rebuilt buy Ken de Groome.

I would be grateful if anyone could suggest a satin finish brushing lacquer that is compatible with waterslide transfers. You will note those of you who knew Popsie before that were is a new girl on the tank as sadly, I didn't have a good enough photo of the original to get a new transfer made, but I think the Lucky Strike girl is a real cracker.

Regards,

Tommy RE
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Tommy RE on Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:54 am, edited 3 times in total.
Peter Morris

Post by Peter Morris »

Can't open the pictures Neil, is it me?
MikeM.

Post by MikeM. »

Same problem here, can't open the photos.