1955 AJS 500 Twin

Information relating to the Matchless G9 or AJS Model 20 500cc twin
R_Nairtvm

Re: 1955 AJS 500 Twin

Post by R_Nairtvm »

Thanks Spriddler !

Hi Rob,

Thanks. What you are saying makes sense

I will keep this in mind when I get down to a more accurate restoration stage. As I said earlier at the moment I am going to concentrate on getting obvious flaws/omissions corrected.

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Rob Harknett wrote:
The reference to black tank gold lines perhaps misunderstood. The tank Ram has, painted black with gold lines, like the 55 singles, would look more original. You may also see this on some twins. A finish much easier to achieve, if you have the wrong tank or a very rusty correct chrome tank.
R_Nairtvm

Post by R_Nairtvm »

Prop/Side Stand

Was searching for this item. Came across a site offering one from a vendor - Peters Classic Bike Parts, a Netherlands based site.

Any members have used them in the past or know of them ? Would appreciate feedback please either here or by PM

Baffle in Exhaust pipe

Went through the Workshop Manual on line in "archives", but could'nt find any reference to the fitting/dismantling of this. Would appreciate some info on this or where this might be available.

Best Regars & Ride Safe

Ram
Expat

Post by Expat »

Don't know if this helps, but I found the replacement silencer from Feked a little, ahem, vocal, so fitted one of their baffle tube thingys that definitely muted it.

Regards, Steve
Keep shiny side up.

These are my principles, if you don’t like them, I have others. (Groucho Marx)
R_Nairtvm

Post by R_Nairtvm »

Thanks Steve.

I was looking to get an understanding where and how does the baffle fit with in the Exhaust Pipe/Silencer Combo. Does it fit at the outlet side of the Silence/tail pipe or does this thing fit at the outlet of the exhaust pipe.

I am asking this I don't remember seeing any attachment points at the Silencer/Tail Pipe area and hence, trying to understand where exactly the "baffle" is to be fitted, before I started the process to procure the same

Currently my whole neighbourhood know when I start the AJS and I definitely am not trying to get noticed and would like to mute the noise considerably

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram

Expat wrote:Don't know if this helps, but I found the replacement silencer from Feked a little, ahem, vocal, so fitted one of their baffle tube thingys that definitely muted it.

Regards, Steve
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

Originally the exhaust pipes were a bit longer, extending further into the silencer. The end was blanked off and holes drilles in the sides. This quietened it down. Pattern pipes are usually open ended. You can fit a 'mute' into the end of the exhaust pipe, some push in tight and others have to be tack welded in.
Dave.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

dave16mct wrote:Originally the exhaust pipes were a bit longer, extending further into the silencer. The end was blanked off and holes drilles in the sides. This quietened it down. Pattern pipes are usually open ended. You can fit a 'mute' into the end of the exhaust pipe, some push in tight and others have to be tack welded in.
Dave.
Quite true for most models Dave. But 55 M20 parts list shows a separate baffle. Looks like its a bit that is normally the end of the pipe. You may be surprised to see this, I was. Not noticed it before.
Ashampoo_Snap_2018.02.25_14h20m20s_001_.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
R_Nairtvm

Post by R_Nairtvm »

Thanks Dave,

But as mentioned by Rob in the subsequent post, there is a seperate baffle part for 1955 M20. Since there is a part, I guess I should try and use it.
dave16mct wrote:Originally the exhaust pipes were a bit longer, extending further into the silencer. The end was blanked off and holes drilles in the sides. This quietened it down. Pattern pipes are usually open ended. You can fit a 'mute' into the end of the exhaust pipe, some push in tight and others have to be tack welded in.
Dave.
Thanks Rob,

So I think the following should be the set up

So I am planing to get Parts A & B attached and then get the end where B is attached inserted in to C.

A layer of Glass wool wound around the baffle secured with copper wire would add an additional layer of "noise insulation", I suppose.

Shall get back to you all with this, when I start working on it

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
Rob Harknett wrote:Quite true for most models Dave. But 55 M20 parts list shows a separate baffle. Looks like its a bit that is normally the end of the pipe. You may be surprised to see this, I was. Not noticed it before.
Ashampoo_Snap_2018.02.25_14h20m20s_001_.png
R_Nairtvm

Post by R_Nairtvm »

Side Stand

My search to locate a side stand seems to be a fruitless effort so far.

I am thinking the possibility of modifying either of the following;

1) RD350 Side Stand
2) RE Bullet 35--500 Side Stand

Would appreciate if anyone who has a original side stand, can kindly give me the diamentions of the item - specially the length and the width - inside of the top yoke.

A rough schematic drawing of this could be a useful document for the archives as well, as this seems to have dried out of stock of all usuall supply sources including AMOC, Steve etc.

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
R_Nairtvm

Post by R_Nairtvm »

Rob Harknett wrote:You are wrong Ram. You show a ridged frame also not where the side stand is fitted.
There is a picture showing the side stand. The stand consists leg, a special fitting to fit it on the frame stand lug. Also a spring that fits on the stand leg and hooks in a hole on the underside of the frame rail further back from the stand lug. The club did sell the stand complete with fittings & spring. I recall the club price complete was cheaper than and old bent leg only, you may find second hand
Hi Rob

In your post above you've mentioned a "special fitting to fit it on the frame stand lug". As you're aware mine is a 500 twin (picture you've posted is that of a Single).

Can I know the part number of this iteme - better if I can get a picture

As per the Twin Part list the following are parts for the prop stand

PROP STAND
1) 014719 Stand, prop, bare. ..........
2) 014713 Bolt, hi.nge, for prop stand, 2-¾; iris. by TT in. by 26.:
3) 014139 Nut, for prop stand hinge bolt
4) 000049 Pin, split, for prop stand hinge bolt
5) 021261 Spring, return, for prop stand .

Can you please let me know which is the item you are referring to

As I had requested earlier, I will be really obliged if a photo of the stand and its fitment can be kindly provided.

Best Regards & Thanks

Ram
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

R_Nairtvm wrote:Would appreciate if anyone who has a original side stand, can kindly give me the diamentions of the item - specially the length and the width - inside of the top yoke.
Hi Ram. A pal is restoring a 1952 500 twin which has the same stand as your '55 model.
He is about to fit the side stand so I will drop round and take some photos and dimensions today and post them on here..
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'