1-5/8 exhaust pipes

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
JimFitz

Re: 1-5/8 exhaust pipes

Post by JimFitz »

The bike looks superb Clive - better than when it left the factory!

Jim
Too old to Rock and Roll but too young to die.

1952 G80 rigid, 1960 G12 DL / Watsonian Monza, 1954 G80S.
AJS 500

Post by AJS 500 »

JimFitz wrote:The bike looks superb Clive - better than when it left the factory!

Jim
cheers jim
John Jarrett

Post by John Jarrett »

Timing side looks good. Could you post a picture of the drive side? I am particularly interested in the fit around the alternator.
Many thanks,
John
JEAN-NOEL

Post by JEAN-NOEL »

Hello John,
it is not an alternator, but a dynamo engine, according the pictures.
J.N.
AJS 500

Post by AJS 500 »

John Jarrett wrote:Timing side looks good. Could you post a picture of the drive side? I am particularly interested in the fit around the alternator.
Many thanks,
John
ImageImage

Hoping this gives you some idea....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

It is without doubt a beautiful restoration, but if I wanted to be real picky I'd be questioning the use of the earlier type dynamo end with cork and band instead of the correct German helmet type and also the early oil filter end cap. Maybe they are not available at the moment or it's simply personal choice, either way it's still a fine machine.
AJS 500

Post by AJS 500 »

ajscomboman wrote:It is without doubt a beautiful restoration, but if I wanted to be real picky I'd be questioning the use of the earlier type dynamo end with cork and band instead of the correct German helmet type and also the early oil filter end cap. Maybe they are not available at the moment or it's simply personal choice, either way it's still a fine machine.
Wondered who would pick up on that.
noddy crank I got from you, petrol tank from you is in primer. As for Dynamo, is what I could get, same with filter cap although I can test oil pressure with the Earlier one. Also only have an 80mph black face speedo in a later headlight. It's what I could get or I had. I'm sure I will get more Nit picking but I don't really care mate. Looking forward to riding it in a month or so ish.

AJS 500

Post by AJS 500 »

ajscomboman wrote:It is without doubt a beautiful restoration, but if I wanted to be real picky I'd be questioning the use of the earlier type dynamo end with cork and band instead of the correct German helmet type and also the early oil filter end cap. Maybe they are not available at the moment or it's simply personal choice, either way it's still a fine machine.
noddy crank I got from you, petrol tank from you is in primer. As for Dynamo, is what I could get, same with filter cap although I can test oil pressure with the Earlier one. Also only have an 80mph black face speedo in a later headlight. It's what I could get or I had. I'm sure I will get more Nit picking but I don't really care mate. Looking forward to riding it in a month or so ish.

Expat

Post by Expat »

Sure looks a clean looking machine Clive, a credit to the amount of work you've put in.

Regards,

Steve
Keep shiny side up.

These are my principles, if you don’t like them, I have others. (Groucho Marx)
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

AJS 500 wrote:

I wondered if that was the case. Some bits are a little scarce, it certainly doesn't detract from the look of the bike and the dynamo is very nicely done, and to be honest I find it easier to carry out checks with that type of end cap. I'm sure it'll go as good as it looks.