Steering collar / head race - 1926 Model G5

Information relating to Matchless and AJS Models built prior to 1939
slaapstad

Steering collar / head race - 1926 Model G5

Post by slaapstad »

Hi, I wonder if anyone can assist? The steering head races on my 1926 Model G5 are absolutely shot. Does anyone know of a source for new ones?

Part numbers are H818, H820 and H822. The balls are 3/16" - but those aren't the problem!

Someone once mentioned that a visit to a bicycle shop that provides spares for really old cycles may be an options. Any views on this?

Cheers,

Bruce
slaapstad

Re: Steering collar / head race - 1926 Model G5

Post by slaapstad »

Sooooo......... am I to assume that no-one has ever replaced the ball races on a 20's AJS?
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Hi Bruce, have you asked the "WD and Pre-war eGroup" they nay have has more experience of this issue, follow the link from the main site :http://www.jampot.com/links_showall.asp ... MC+Related
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

I thought Bruce was a member of the prewar e group.
Alan Thurs in Australia made and supplied the group with races, which fitted many 20's models. If it makes it any easy for those wanting to contact a group member direct of via group forum. I can activate the yahoo group website to send an invite to join e mail to their e mail address.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

slaapstad wrote:Sooooo......... am I to assume that no-one has ever replaced the ball races on a 20's AJS?
No further response since Christmas Day.
Well, for anyone owning a prewar machine in our club, that are not aware. Most prewar AJS bike owners have replaced steering races etc. if they have needed them. Steering collars races etc are available for most models from approx. 1926 onwards. Steel balls are available from local cycle shops. If checked you may even find the club spares stock bearings. Some post war races etc may also fit if sizes are checked. The most common prewar types fit many different years / models. 1929 is a year where they fit 10 different models, the only exception being the little 250 model 12, which I am not sure about. Drawings are also available. So an owner can check if the have a pre 1926 AJS. Or year /model not listed in files available.
AJS STEERING HEAD BEARINGS.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.