Intro new project Model 18S ...or CS

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
schrottschlecker

Intro new project Model 18S ...or CS

Post by schrottschlecker »

Hello,

after my 68 BSA Spitfire is up and running, my friend offered me his AJS Model 18. It was originally registered in the U.K. as a 1954 AJS Model 18S and got a new frame and engine (alternator) somewhere in the 60s. The frame number is A 23 3 19, the engine number is 58/ 18S 13 1967. The last entry in the original registration book (VE 60...whatever this means?) is from 1976. It is now labelled as a 1958 model, although it has the double tube frame from a Matchless G9. The conversion was approved in 1974.
It came over to Germany in 1983, when my friend had a short ride, disassembled it and let it rest in a barn for 34 years. Now it's on me to get it back on the road.
My plan is to build a semi-street scrambler, somehow as a CS clone.
First step was joining the club and getting the right literature. Now I started the parts-search- and to-do-list.

Any input or suggestion is welcome.

Thanks for your feedback.

I will keep you posted.

Christian
ajs_schuppen.jpg
ajs_tank.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rob Harknett

Re: Intro new project Model 18S ...or CS

Post by Rob Harknett »

Neither the frame or engine is for a comp machine. So most of the bike parts you have would be used on a comp bike.
cfaber

Post by cfaber »

Neat find!

Are you looking to keep it original, period correct, or just something cool to build?
Fix it until it's broken!

Otherwise how will
anything get done?
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

schrottschlecker wrote:First step was joining the club and getting the right literature.
Welcome, Christian.

Regarding literature, if you are not aware of it there is all the literature you could want on the website called 'Christians Archive'.
Under the 'Books' section there are Owner Manuals, Workshop manuals, Spares Lists and much more.
Have a browse....

http://archives.jampot.dk/
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
schrottschlecker

SPRIDDLER wrote:
schrottschlecker wrote:First step was joining the club and getting the right literature.
Welcome, Christian.

Regarding literature, if you are not aware of it there is all the literature you could want on the website called 'Christians Archive'.
Under the 'Books' section there are Owner Manuals, Workshop manuals, Spares Lists and much more.
Have a browse....

http://archives.jampot.dk/
Thanks for the link. For the moment, I have everything I need. I need to locate the screws and check if they are correct and where they belong to.

My plan is build the bike as a street bike with some offroad features:
- Alloy fenders
- 7 inch Lucas headlamp with separate speedo bracket on yoke
- High western style handlebar, eventually with cross-bar
- Semi-offroad profile tires
- Keep the big roadster tank, eventually with chrome side panels
- Keep 18 inch front wheel
- Keep low exhaust

I try to make it as period-correct as possible and want to keep as much patina of the old original parts.

Let's see...

Christian
cfaber

Post by cfaber »

I've got an old HD steers horns bar that I'm going to be getting rid of, message me if you're interested
Fix it until it's broken!

Otherwise how will
anything get done?
schrottschlecker

cfaber wrote:I've got an old HD steers horns bar that I'm going to be getting rid of, message me if you're interested
Hi there,
Thanks for the offer, but shipping and customs to Germsny would be too expensive. You get them over here pretty cheap. But thanks, anyway.
Christian