Intro and what have I got

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
Rob Harknett

Re: Intro and what have I got

Post by Rob Harknett »

George Kaplan wrote:Hello folks, thanks for the helpful comments.

I understand about the model year coming out in the previous year as I have a 1939 bike that was first registered in October 1938.

I also get the dating certificate and age related reg thing as I have previously registered vehicles that had been missing from the DVLA database.

I guess the 2 questions that I had/have were/are

1. Is it easier to get a dating certificate for a G3LS that looks like a G3LS rather than one that looks like a G3C despite its identity being a G3LS? I think the answer is that it might be easier if it looks like the bike that its numbers identify it as.

2. Is it possibe to do a simple search of the clubs archive based on engine number rather than chassis number? Similar to the On-line frame dating and identification but for the 350/500 AJS engine that I have?

Final question is does anyone know if there is a source for the competition alloy barrels to fit my "C" bottom end?

Thanks,

John
Year of manufacture is based on the frame number. Road models used a different series of numbers to competition machines. The engine number is prefixed with the date year and model. So date themselves. Any numbers that have been tampered with, as some of yours have been, will serve no purpose. Comp parts being more rarer than std models, may prove difficult to find. Perhaps only worth while sourcing if you have a good chance to built a complete original compt. machine. Otherwise it will get referred to as a bitza.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

George Kaplan wrote: 1. Is it easier to get a dating certificate for a G3LS that looks like a G3LS rather than one that looks like a G3C despite its identity being a G3LS? I think the answer is that it might be easier if it looks like the bike that its numbers identify it as.
Probably, but it's impossible to answer that hypothetical question since it isn't known what parts the finished 'C' machine will have.
2. Is it possibe to do a simple search of the clubs archive based on engine number rather than chassis number? Similar to the On-line frame dating and identification but for the 350/500 AJS engine that I have?
As Rob has mentioned the engine number on road machines is self-dating.

On looking back through this thread I seem to be repeating previous comment from others.
I suggest you apply for a full dating certificate with a photo of the frame number before you go any further.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
George Kaplan

Post by George Kaplan »

Thanks guys. To recap on the frame number, i have already purchased the frame identity from the club using the £5.00 online frame number identification service.

When i come to register it i will get a full dating certificate so that i can get a V5 for a 1958 G3LS which is what the club has identified it as.

As far as the engine numbers go, forgive me if i come across as stupid, its not intentional and i have good reason. (At least yo me it's a good reason)

I am satisfied that the G3C has a correct number.

However i am not 100% convinced that the AJS number of 460 1130 is wrong. The reasons are as follows:

The cases dont look like they have been messed with. If they have then it is an exceptional job as there are no remnants of the old number and the finish is perfect.

Second, i have a spare set of cases for another old British bike that I have that have a number on them that is totally different to the accepted standard numbering system used on the bike.  Most people (including some "marque experts") tell me that these cases have been messed with but, like the AJS cases, they dont look tampered with. After some research i have established that a small number of engines with these "wrong" numbers were made and exported to Canada and the USA So in actual fact the cases are correct.

Now i am not saying that the AJS cases are 100% correct but what i am saying that i am not 100% certain that they have been messed with. Hence my previous questions. At the moment i have concluded that no one on here have seen numbers like them before so they are probably wrong but not having seen something before doesnt make it 100% conclusive.

My next step is to contact the previous owner who is from the IOM and see what he can tell me about the numbers. I managed to find his contact details earlier today so i shall see what he says.

Finally, i assume that a barrel to fit the G3C with different stud spacing is not easily available?

John

John
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

460 1130 is certainly not an AJS number. A number could have been erased from a crank case years ago and changed, not showing any signs of the change many years later. Perhaps done to register a bike overseas. The country concerned issuing the number. Bit like some of the WD bikes. If captured by German, Italian's etc. they were stamped with their numbers. Perhaps changed again if we recaptured the bikes.
raffles

Post by raffles »

Crankcases were supplied to dealers with no numbers on they were then supposed to be stamped with the number of the damaged case they were re placing
I have known in the past of at least three engines with no numbers. So maybe the numbers you have were stamped by a previous owner'
Tony
George Kaplan

Post by George Kaplan »

Thanks for that Raffles it makes sense. I have a spare 90's engine for my Honda that doesn't have numbers and I have found out that Honda did the same thing. It didn't occur to me that 50's British bikes might have been similar.

I am still looking for a source for a "competition" top end.

I see Progressive Classics sell aluminum barrels both machined ones and un-machined ones. It occurs to me that un-machined ones could be machined to suit the "C" type cases - maybe. Does anyone know what the differences are in the cylinder head?

John
Matt Durkin

Post by Matt Durkin »

Hello John.
This is a very, very long shot.
You wouldn't happen to be the same John that sold my late father Ken Durkin from Thorpe Willoughby, Selby, a collection of Matchless parts in order to rebuild a G80?? (Ugandan import)
Im trying to get to the bottom of a parts identification query.
Like I say, a long shot but your dates and locations sound familiar.
Thanks.
George Kaplan

Post by George Kaplan »

Hello Matt, unfortunately for you, I am a different John.

John
Matt Durkin

Post by Matt Durkin »

Ok, thank you different John. :D
George Kaplan

Post by George Kaplan »

Hello Folks, I am at the point of thinking about starting this project. I have sent an enquiry to the spares scheme because some of the brake parts that I need are "limited availability". In the mean time I have some questions about some other parts.

I am missing the primary drive in its entirety. The bike is 1958 G3 but I am looking for the best clutch to use rather one that is necessarily the "correct" 1958 clutch. Are there any better options for the clutch rather than the standard 58 item?

To get the bike sorted quickly,at first I am going to use the complete AJS engine that I have. My understanding is that this is a 350 bottom end and a 500 top end. The markings on it are non standard therefore are there any particular external features of these engines which could narrow down exactly what I have? (externally at least)

Lastly, I will also need a carburettor. I intend to go with a Mikuni, is there a recommendation as to what spec the carb should be (model, size, jets etc) for an engine such as this. I think running a Mikuni is something that a few people have done.

Thanks,

John