AJS M14 factory modifications.

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
geoffb-63

Re: AJS M14 factory modifications.

Post by geoffb-63 »

Hi to all,
I would like to take this opportunity, to sincerely thank, all members who have contributed to my quest, i am building up quite a nice collection of information relating to the 250cc lightweights, i now have mags, photo`s, write ups etc etc and info from the archives to hand, obviously, all needing to be put in some sort of order, there are still a few bits waiting to be delivered even, i will try to create a file to show, initially, the history of the bikes, followed by year by year production from 1958 to 1966 by model, including photo`s, specifications, modifications etc, then, all information i can find for repairs/servicing a lot of which is comming from old motorcycle mags, no doubt there will always be something i don`t have or crops up later, i will include that as time goes on,
Best regards, Geoff.
clanger9

Post by clanger9 »

Good luck with your quest, Geoff!
The lack of detailed information on the Lightweights is an ongoing challenge, so I'm really looking forward to seeing what you uncover...
1989 Moto Morini Dart 350
1993 Ducati 750SS
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Janet wrote:
geoffb-63 wrote:Hi, thanks again for the info, obviously, there must be information within the club archives on the bikes, do you know if the archives are listed by model and years, if so who do i need to speak to regarding getting copies of all information the club has on model 14`s, regards.
Just for info, the website that Spriddler referred to as 'Christian's Archives' doesn't belong to our club although Christian, who manages it, is a club member. It is funded from donations. That is usually the first port of call for us.

Regarding what information is held by the club, perhaps I should know, but I don't. I think you'll find that most documents are on paper so would be be time consuming to find, remove, copy and replace.
The club were once selling literature. What ever literature you may see in Christians archives the club should have, perhaps more. This would be in paper format, original or photo copy. My personal library contains all know to exist pre war AJS & Matchless literature. Over many years this has all been given to the club. Quite a lot also in digital format ( CD or DVD ) Post war literature is far less than pre war as there were fewer years and models. Over many years, I have filled a few gaps in paper format. Most also in digital format on CD or DVD. The WD era is also well represented covering most WO contracts. I assisted the archivist over many years, which included sourcing and buying literature on e bay etc. to fill gaps.
It would require a full time volunteer Librarian to be based at Kettering HQ to control and provide a service, such as the VMCC offers. Or a paid librarian. Either would need a cost for literature to be put in place. A library service would need almost as much admin as it takes to run the club spares. I once ran such a service for another club. It took a room in my house to house the library and huge copier. Needless to say many hours work coping and mailing out orders. It also took many hours work to set up. Each item given an index number and filed, so the item could be easily found to copy. If one item got mis filed it could take ages to find. This explains the reason why you could not have an open library just anyone could rummage through. It would need strict control to make sure everything is returned correctly filed. When I took over the club library I mentioned. It took me days to get correctly filed and I found many items were missing also original items replaced with photo copies.
At present we cannot find enough members will to serve on the club committee just to run the basic requirements of the club. So you should fully understand, setting up a club Library is now even more impossible than it was in the past.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Those that read minutes of meetings will be aware, a couple of years ago, a project started to set up a club knowledge base. Something like Christains Archives. But with more up to date technology, would be more user friendly. This would be a 21st century version of a library of old full of paper books. That is the way forward. We just need to be patient. Those willing to help in getting these club member benefits in place are doing their best.
geoffb-63

Post by geoffb-63 »

Hi Rob, thanks for your post, as you are aware i am a newbie to the Ajs & Matchless owners club, so not aware of the decisions made a few years ago, currently, i am only interested in the lightweight machines and with a thirst for knowledge, that is why i started my quest, initially for my own benefit, but would also share with others should they be interested, if i am treading on someones toes, then please advise me according, i am willing to assist the club itself in anyway i can, you only have to ask and i will do what i can.
Best regards,
Geoff.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Don't be put off Geoff. Any contribution by members to our hobby/passion/lifestyle is positive. As Rob said, to document every bit of info for every model would indeed be a mind-blowing task. However, you are not doing that and the best way to eat an elephant is in bite-size chunks. In my experience info on the L/W range is rather sparse, even on Christian's Archive, so I would think that your results will certainly be appreciated since over the past 5 or 6 (10?)years the L/W models have been growing fast in popularity.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Most info can be found Geoff, its just knowing where to find it all. For a start spend some time in the archives. http://www.archives.jampot.dk for parts lists, Instruction books, sales cats, workshop manuals. Also related stuff like Amal and Wipac. All or most literature is there. Next look here on the club web site " Tech tips." Also here on the forum. Over the years light weights have been discussed many times. You will find comments, pictures of parts etc. etc. I am sure you will find all you want to know. If you are keen on collating all the info, it will be a worth while job having it all in one place. You will need to search archives, tech tips etc. for info. Most of those files are too large to post here. This can all be done at home. There is also a yahoo e group for post war machines you could join. Like this forum, you will also find many lightweight topics, hints tips pictures archived. I have made/got many lightweight files I would be happy to put them all on disc for you. As some may be too big to e mail. I will need your home address. contact me via prewar@jampot.com Re mind me its lightweight files you want.