Dynamo locating strip

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Jackson

Dynamo locating strip

Post by Jackson »

My G80S dynamo had a locating strip on the body until I had to have a new body following a bearing failure. The rebuilt unit without the strip has not moved in 5000 miles.
As a quick visual check our retired technical hotline advisor always said that the correct sideways location of the dynamo was with the joint between the left hand end cap & dynamo body being inline with the outer face of the left hand engine plate.

I have always used that to position the dynamo and had no problems.
john

Dynamo locating strip

Post by john »

Although the strip is standard fitment it is only used when the strap comes loose.

It sounds like on a well-maintained road bike this does not happen very often but unfortunately my bike is used and abused. In 1000 miles of reliability trials (run by the MCC) the rough hill sections have trashed an engine, seized a gearbox and mangled a primary chain case. So I am keen to make my machine a little more robust.

For more sympathetic owners I think the chances of a fatal primary / dynamo chain clash is small so please don’t have nightmares.

John T
clive

Dynamo locating strip

Post by clive »

"As a quick visual check our retired technical hotline advisor always said that the correct sideways location of the dynamo was with the joint between the left hand end cap & dynamo body being inline with the outer face of the left hand engine plate."
I agree with Jackson's much clearer explanation. That is the line up I have used without trouble for years and it is easy to check once you have reset the chain tension.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix