Pics from a newbie/amateur. G80.

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
Matt Durkin

Pics from a newbie/amateur. G80.

Post by Matt Durkin »

Having recently re-introduced myself this week by becoming a member here, I'd like to share some random pictures, in no particular order of the project I took over from my late father in 2015.
I still have some way to go, and have only been able to afford a few hours a month to 'potter' on it with limited motorcycle knowledge.
The bike was barely started before Dad became ill, I took it over from the bare frame and engine mounted stage, here's where I'm at so far.
I've yet to have it running, it that is next on the list.
I hope you like the pics.

I do have to say, and hopefully not without reprisal, that it's a labour of love working with what we've got, and not meant to be a on exact concourse correct model and is done to taste rather than originality of the year, that said, I still hope you like what I have done so far based on lots of 'Googling' so far.

I'm not so good with uploading pics. I hope these first 2 come through. I believe I might need to upload them through Photo Bucket? Will see how we go. 👍

But I'm here now, and look forward to making contact with you guys and respectfully asking for help and advice when required.

Thank you very, very much.

Matt.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Matt Durkin on Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matt Durkin

Re: Pics from a newbie/amateur. G80.

Post by Matt Durkin »

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Matt Durkin

Post by Matt Durkin »

Matt Durkin

Post by Matt Durkin »

Matt Durkin

Post by Matt Durkin »

GOLDSTAR

Post by GOLDSTAR »

be wary of 'primer filler' I used it on my comp tank prior to two pack top coating, beutiful until Belgium ethenol petrol got onto the tank leeched under the top coat and just bubbled the primer, it also removed the 'petseal' not por15 by the way, and then allowed fuel to again seep through the pin holes again bubbling and stripping the paint, I accept the tank may have become porous again with any ethenol petrol in it disolving the sealant but the primer filler just seemed to act like a sponge. The tank had been lined and'badged' in gold leaf so I was and still am not best pleased with shite fuel! :headbang: kind regards
Matt Durkin

Post by Matt Durkin »

Thanks.
I will be extremely careful and appreciate your warning.
I'm hoping that the sealer does it's job. It's been in a set for a few months now, yet to put fuel in.
The tank has certainly had some work. It came in 2 parts as part if the 'basket case' project. The bottom had been neatly cut out to facilitate some extreme panel beating by the previous 'project starter' before Dad bought it.
I called in a favour and had it professionally welded and tested.
Fingers crossed. 👌
Johnobirches

Post by Johnobirches »

Great looking bike.
Group Leader

Post by Group Leader »

Looks like a very nice project to me - keep the updates coming!

Alan
1953 AJS 16MS, 1939 BSA 250 and a 1/3 scale Sopwith Triplane but that's another story ..... :lol: