Amal carb air filter for 16MS 1956

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
spurrea

Amal carb air filter for 16MS 1956

Post by spurrea »

I know at the time the Ajay was hatched the manual said an air filter for the Amal momobloc was not required in the UK and was an optional extra and I assume are no longer available
In our polluted atmosphere of today does your carb have an air filter?
Do I need to worry about not having one?
Has anyone got one and where can one be obtained
Your advice much appreciated
SPRIDDLER

Re: Amal carb air filter for 16MS 1956

Post by SPRIDDLER »

spurrea wrote:In our polluted atmosphere of today does your carb have an air filter?
No.
No
Stay in Somerset.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
g80csp11

Post by g80csp11 »

an air filter will always help the cylinder/rings last longer , but no where as important as regular oil changes
ive never fitted a air filter to mine and in the miles that ive ridden not worn a cylinder out yet
also more miles per gallon without a filter , not that influenced my decision

you should be able to get 30K miles with out a major rebuild with regular servicing

now spriddler , no comments or pictures !
spurrea

Post by spurrea »

SPRIDDLER wrote:
spurrea wrote:In our polluted atmosphere of today does your carb have an air filter?
No.
No
Stay in Somerset.
I like it Spriddler, I don't think my Ajay will go much further than Somerset anyway but it could reach Weston super mare and get some nice sea air
spurrea

Post by spurrea »

g80csp11 wrote:an air filter will always help the cylinder/rings last longer , but no where as important as regular oil changes
ive never fitted a air filter to mine and in the miles that ive ridden not worn a cylinder out yet
also more miles per gallon without a filter , not that influenced my decision

you should be able to get 30K miles with out a major rebuild with regular servicing

The previous owner has always changed the oil at 500 miles so hopefully I should be ok if I continue with that regime
Thanks g80csp11
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

After 60 years there's still bikes running almost untouched. Roads and air are cleaner now. So is petrol. Old type was the main reason for carbon and black oil that needed changing more often than today. If you live in a desert, an air filter would be needed.
spurrea

Post by spurrea »

Rob Harknett wrote:After 60 years there's still bikes running almost untouched. Roads and air are cleaner now. So is petrol. Old type was the main reason for carbon and black oil that needed changing more often than today. If you live in a desert, an air filter would be needed.
I have no plans to live in a desert so I guess my Ajay will be fine - but As reported in today's Metro:
CARBON dioxide in Earth's atmosphere surged at a record rate last year to a level not seen for more than 3million years, the United Nations says.
MILLIONS of Britons are inhaling air too dangerous to breathe, says the World Health Organization. Out of 51 UK towns and cities, 44 have unsafe concentrations of sooty particles smaller than 2.5 microns that have been linked to heart disease.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

g80csp11 wrote: also more miles per gallon without a filter , not that it influenced my decision

O.K. no comment then.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
REW

Post by REW »

Spurrea: pollution that damages engine components like cylinder bores includes sand (as Rob suggests), dust, small stones etc. The pollutants you mention are gases and have no abrasive effect. In fact CO2 is an essential for life as are compounds of Nitrogen, both of which plants require for growth. You would think the atmosphere has never previously contained these gases the way some people go on. Is there too much of each in certain situations? Possibly; putting an air filter on your bike won't change that.
Ron

1951 Matchless G3L thumping round the Durham Dales.
raffles

Post by raffles »

If after reading the replies you still want a filter it is possible to buy a screw on bellmouth which incorporates a fine mesh only filter
which will keep out solids but not mess up the carburation OR you can buy a triumph type filter that screws on to the carb but will
definitely affect the mixture
Tony