AJS Cadwell Clubman.

This area is for discussion/information on the "modern" AJS motorcycles manufactured in China from 2006 onwards.
skydiver

Re: AJS Cadwell Clubman.

Post by skydiver »

It IS a single seat,an alternative dual seat is available if required....Although top speed is listed at sixty mph they do go faster than that as several riders confirm....KC.
skydiver

Post by skydiver »

While riding the AJS yesterday I had a sudden"Clunk" and the front brake lever came back almost to the twistgrip...I was unable to avoid using the front brake as the brakes are linked....I rode VERY carefully home to investigate...The top bolt retaining the front brake caliper was missing,and the lower one loose.....I contacted the dealership who offered to collect it--the same day which I declined and asked for the missing bolt be posted to me...I little Loctite methinks when replacing it......KC.
REW

Post by REW »

So, just as we do with our older machines, a spanner on the bolts every so often just to check nothing has come loose. I wouldn't have thought to do it on a modern machine though possibly on a new one out of sheer curiosity. Glad to hear you got home safe.
Ron

1951 Matchless G3L thumping round the Durham Dales.
skydiver

Post by skydiver »

Yes,a new machine with just 270km covered----I suspect that it wasn't tightened by the dealership....Loctite is called for I think....KC.
skydiver

Post by skydiver »

Well,with a little over five hundred kilometres now covered I've discovered that it is IMPOSSIBLE to start this machine using the kickstart.....I've been riding bikes for over fifty years--mostly singles up to six hundred cc so I'm not new to this method of starting 'em...The AJS Cadwell fitted with carbs don't have this trouble so I suspect that it's the fuel injection....It's due a service soon so I'll be pointing out this problem...Bloody"Chinkibikes"....KC.
REW

Post by REW »

I suspect its reluctance to be kickstarted into life is more to do with very lean emissions regulations than where it has been made or your kicking prowess! I agree though, it would be a shame if you couldn't use it. I also wonder if a few failed kicks would in fact load up the catalyst with raw fuel and hence contaminate it, so the system saves you from yourself. Ah, this modern nanny world eh?
Ron

1951 Matchless G3L thumping round the Durham Dales.
skydiver

Post by skydiver »

I tried to start it by riding it down a steep slope and selecting second gear...It started instantly....But never even a cough using the kickstarter...KC.
JimFitz

Post by JimFitz »

skydiver wrote:Well,with a little over five hundred kilometres now covered I've discovered that it is IMPOSSIBLE to start this machine using the kickstart.....I've been riding bikes for over fifty years--mostly singles up to six hundred cc so I'm not new to this method of starting 'em...The AJS Cadwell fitted with carbs don't have this trouble so I suspect that it's the fuel injection....It's due a service soon so I'll be pointing out this problem...Bloody"Chinkibikes"....KC.
Have you ever been able to start it on the kickstart? It would not surprise me if there were some special procedure or safety failsafe switch, lever or button which has to be operated when kicking.
It does seem strange that it starts on a bump though.

Jim
Too old to Rock and Roll but too young to die.

1952 G80 rigid, 1960 G12 DL / Watsonian Monza, 1954 G80S.
bob

Post by bob »

Could it be the fuel supply .
If it has a modern vacuum operated tap , then kicking it will not provide enough vacuum to open the tap .
Where spinning the motor on the leccie start or bump starting it would .
skydiver

Post by skydiver »

Have you ever been able to start it on the kickstart? It would not surprise me if there were some special procedure or safety failsafe switch, lever or button which has to be operated when kicking.
It does seem strange that it starts on a bump though.

Jim[/quote]
It has NEVER started by using the kickstart....And believe me--I've tried almost every day....KC.