affiliation

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
ma120990

Re: affiliation

Post by ma120990 »

SPRIDDLER wrote:We can do little about the aging membership (for many reasons few youngsters are interested in or can afford classic bikes).
Whilst I would agree that the cost of classic bikes is only every going to go up in price, looking at the web statistics on the video file I uploaded to Youtube on 'starting a big British single'. So far it's received around 11,500+ views since March this year (2017). Of these around 50% are between 18 and 54 or under (and pretty evenly spread). Around 96% are male, so I feel interest from the younger set is there to be had. The question is more about how you can to exploit that, and indeed spark that interest into something more tangible?

Most youngies I see never let their mobiles touch the ground unless it's to recharge them, so you have to deal with them on their terms. Speaking with a fello member just last night, we touched on the subject of a video user guides on models, what to look out for, simple maintenance tasks etc etc.. I know I have emailed the comittee before about this so I won't go over old ground. I've had my four penneth and it's anyway its almost time I moved onto new horizons.
ma120990

Post by ma120990 »

The video stats if anyone's interested showing some of the countries etc.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

To a degree I think we are our own worst enemies:

The price of classic bikes is determined by the buyers - Us - no point no bemoaning this, I guess we would all seriously consider selling to the highest bidder.

The desire to own a classic bike is often driven by previous ownership experience or knowledge thereof - as time goes on fewer youngsters will have this.

There are a finite number of AMC machines in existence, (ignoring the new regime), this will not increase and the tendency to collect effectively reduces the potential membership.

One way to engender continued interest from the younger generation is to bequeath the bikes to them - they may well choose to take a quick gain straight away but at least they have been given the opportunity of ownership.

Sorry for a bit of a disjointed post but I think a lot of the basics are being missed.

Regards Mick
Harry44

Post by Harry44 »

I chose AJS because 1 I had one as a field bike when I was a kid. 2 Some close friends have AJS 3 They are cheap compared to other marques. 4 a decent club 5 spares are available.

As to 3 they are cheap perhaps that means we are more sensible than others.

My son and daughter are already arguing (nicely) as to who inherits the AJS, Maybe we dragged them up right.

My apologies for 1
si is does non opportunus vos postulo a maior pango
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Hits on you tube are bound to be a higher % of youngish people. They out number the average age of a classic bike club member. Compare hits on our web site. Often non members logged on out number members by 100,000%. Is it because they are more interested in our club than us members.
ma120990

Post by ma120990 »

Well as mentioned earlier, I've had my four penneth... Time to step off the soapbox and wish all Jampot members/owners the best for the future whatever that turns out to be.

The new project is in the shed and the camcorder and laptop will be running.!

Over and out, keep right side up everyone :D !
bigwol

Post by bigwol »

Having been absent from the forum for a while I have only just become aware of this thread. The reasons behind it are frankly disconcerting. It seems the general members (or those on the forum) are only aware of this due to one member posting something he became aware of through the VMCC committee meeting minutes. It appears not even the full committee were aware of this chairman's meeting, instigated it seems by "us"? When, if ever, were we, the members, going to be told of this approach, regardless of the reasons for it? To say that there were no changes or developments of which to inform the members means that there could have been. How many decisions regarding "changes or developments" are made without our knowledge? It is, after all, our club. Why was there no mention of any of this at the AGM? While I have my own opinion of the VMCC and how they do things it does seem at least they are more transparent with their members as committee meeting minutes appear to be available to all. Are ours?
It's all just riding motorbikes
clive

Post by clive »

bigwol wrote:...... While I have my own opinion of the VMCC and how they do things it does seem at least they are more transparent with their members as committee meeting minutes appear to be available to all. Are ours?
Yes http://www.jampot.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=44 have you ever read them? The committee is made up of a very small percentage of the club and are struggling to look for solutions to the ageing issue. Many of us are ageing as we do this, with very few new committee members stepping forward........
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
bigwol

Post by bigwol »

Thanks Clive, I will at least know where to find them now and it seems yes they are available to members who are able to access the forum.
Almost no information on the chairman's meeting I see, just a mention there was such a thing but no detail.
As we now have no secretary will there be secretary scribblings going forward?
It has been my intention to offer to undertake a committee role when I have the available time to do so with confidence I would be able to fulfil the responsibilities associated, this is unlikely to be before retirement which is a few years away yet. Hopefully there will still be a viable club but if I do indeed take on a role I will be uncomfortable with decisions taken without the full knowledge of the membership.
It's all just riding motorbikes
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Minutes are published on the forum. Minutes are also sent to all sections. ( Sec. or rep ) All sections are encouraged to send a rep to a committee meeting. For the last 29 years just one person other than a committee member has been attending almost every committee meeting during that time period. That person being my wife Jan. Very few other club members have ever attended.