Rear brake light switch

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
Pharisee

Rear brake light switch

Post by Pharisee »

What style of brake light switch would have been originally fitted to a '54 G3/LS and where / how would it have been fitted?
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
raffles

Re: Rear brake light switch

Post by raffles »

Lucas oblong black box with contact shaft running through the middle attached by screws top and bottom to a plate which fits on the rear wheel spindle
Tony
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

I believe it would be one of these:
Brake Sw.png
The rear wheel spacer should have a reduced portion to match the hole in the plate.

Regards Mick
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
raffles

Post by raffles »

Dead right Mick and the Club spares has both
Tony
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

Thanks for the info and photograph. Now I know what I'm looking for.

Mick... You say the spacer should have a reduced portion to match the hole in the plate. As there is only one 'spacer' apart from the chain adjusting snail cam, I assume you're referring to the spacer with two flats on that slides in the rear fork slots. Does that spacer fit through the switch plate simply clamp it to the rear fork?

Raffles... I've looked in the '54 parts list and it gives part number 018720 for the switch and 018763 for the bracket. Neither of those parts are listed on the AMOC Spares web site. They do list a 'Universal' stop light switch and a 'Replica Wipac' stop light switch but there are no pictures. Is it the Wipac switch that I need? Can't find any switch bracket listed... Would you happen to know what number it's listed under?

Many thanks
John
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Sorry - my response was based on a full width hub set up and hence misleading, however the Lucas catalogues on the archive seem to indicate the switch is the same and Lucas pt no 31383 - another supplier lists it:

http://www.classicbikeshop.co.uk/genuin ... witch.html

The bracket on mine is made from 1/8" steel plate and could be made easily if you have basic tooling, (happy to measure mine in situ if it will help) - I guess it would replace one of the washers on your set up.

Regards Mick
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

There's a drawing of it in Christian's archives:http: //archives.jampot.dk/technical/Do-it-yourself_parts/Stop_switch_bracket_and_speedo_bracket__sketch_by_Don_Madden.pdf

Dave.
raffles

Post by raffles »

I think this will be one time you wont need a part number. just phone press 3 ask for Andy and I am sure he will send you the correct bits.
Tony
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

I decided to utilise the rear chain guard mounting. I swapped out the bolt for a longer length of stainless threaded rod, made up a spacer from a piece of 8mm I.D. stainless tube and secured it with a stainless dome nut. It may not be 'correct' but it'll do for me :D
shifter

Post by shifter »

And a very nice job it is
shifter
?