Rear Brake on a 49 G80

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
ELPS

Rear Brake on a 49 G80

Post by ELPS »

Hi. I am trying to chase up rear brake parts for my 49 rigid G80. The rear wheel on the bike at present is from an earlier bike (5 1/2 inch drum). The spare parts manual lists a 012570 drum/sprocket which are easy enough to get but I am unsure of what the correct brake backing plate looks like. Would anyone have a good photo of the brake plate, lever and spacer or just the brake plate? Thanks
Rob Harknett

Re: Rear Brake on a 49 G80

Post by Rob Harknett »

Are the picture's in the parts list no good?
ELPS

Post by ELPS »

No, not really. The 2D drawing only gives some idea. A photo of the parts for that year would make things much clearer. I guess in England there are plenty of these bikes to view and compare. I don't have that luxury here. I see plates for sale online, some flat, others curved, some chromed and some black and all seem a little different. I understand 48 and 49 years have different brakes to other years, well the backing plates are different it seems.
ELPS

Post by ELPS »

Hi. Have managed to track down a photo of the brake plate I require. Wondering if anyone may have one of these sitting around in their shed? Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.