Rear wheel bearing

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
mikeydpippin

Rear wheel bearing

Post by mikeydpippin »

Took my 1957 G3ls for a spin and noticed when using rear brake nothing there, had hell of a job to remove QD wheel as there was hardly any room between hub and frame.
Thought it was the brake shoes but they were good and not worn.
The speedo seemed loose on the hub so removed to check and the rear cartridge bearing fell out.
Bought this bearing 9years ago from Andrew engineering and has been running fine up to today.
I,ve got another hub with good bearing in but not with Cush rubbers it has the 5 small pins also I have a sprocket to fit this hub,so will remove and replace the lot respoke and have the wheel trued.
Anyone else had this problem?.
Mike
Rob Harknett

Re: Rear wheel bearing

Post by Rob Harknett »

Cant you just use the bearings from your other wheel?
mikeydpippin

Post by mikeydpippin »

Hi Rob,
If I thought the bearings would remove easily I would have a go.
Mike
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

I am assuming the broken Andrew engineer bearing is the roller cassette type. If so I cannot comment on it's removal, never fitted one. You should not have any problems with fitting the correct parts by following instructions. You only need basic tools. I renewed mine OK ( front wheel ) for the first time when a teenager with no experience.
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

Surely your first action should be to ring Malcolm at Andrew Engineering. I'm sure he would help you with this. I haven't heard of any problems with the cassettes, but the bearings are supposed to be easily available and replaceable.
Dave.
zwarts

Post by zwarts »

I agree with Dave - give Malcolm a call. There will be a simple solution to this. I have no experience of the rear wheel cassettes but I do have a front wheel cassette fitted. The bearings are easily available, standard off the shelf items, and are replaceable. Never heard of one failing before!
Cheers, Bob.
zwarts

Post by zwarts »

On re-reading your original post, Mike, it seems that you may have more than one problem here. The loose cartridge bearing would not cause the rear brake to stop working so that needs further investigation. The loose speedo drive and lack of clearance between the hub an swinging arm suggests that the bearing adjuster/lock ring has unscrewed itself, not an unknown problem with the AMC full width hub. If it has been like this for some time, the bearing cartridge can then work loose in the hub. When you say the bearing fell out do you mean the bearing or the entire cartridge?? Problems with the speedo drive gearbox are almost always the cause of the bearing lock ring unscrewing itself from the hub. The speedo drive must be kept well greased and it is good maintenance to remove it every 12 months, clean out and re-grease the internals, otherwise they can size up!
mikeydpippin

Post by mikeydpippin »

Apologies to Andrew Engineering I,ve found original receipt for the rear wheel bearing and it,s not their bearing.
It,s another well known supplier and it,s not the cartridge type it,s the pair of bearings with a spacer between.
The adjuster ring was tight when removed, I have since tried to refit said bearing into hub and it fits easily with a slight movement so not a tight fit.
I think I will steer clear of this hub and bearing and use tother.
Thanks for the comments and help though.
Mike