Burman gearbox - AMC Clutch

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
Pharisee

Re: Burman gearbox - AMC Clutch

Post by Pharisee »

zwarts wrote:John, I assumed that it was 500 as this is the G80 / M18 part of the forum!
The clutch / gearbox question was applicable to both the 350 and 500 and I didn't want to post the same question in both sections of the forum. It seems that the same folk inhabit both forums anyway. Point taken, though and I'll not transgress again. :(
I'll see if I can get hold of a bigger final drive sprocket. Thanks for sharing your knowledge and expertise.

John
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

New shock absorber rubbers successfully installed.
I thought I was being clever... While the rubbers were simmering nicely on the stove to soften them a bit, I smeared some red rubber grease on the metal parts. That was a big mistake! I'd put the three large rubbers in and had got two of the smaller ones in place. Applying a bit more pressure to the clutch locking tool and all three of the large rubbers were squeezed out. I had to start all over again, this time ensuring that the parts were grease free. Ya live and learn!

GOLDSTAR

Post by GOLDSTAR »

when I had this conversion on the G80cs bitsa, I found there was but little thread left at the end of the mainshaft, a lock washer was in fact impractical as it reduced the threads just to much, I actually used 'locktite' and surprisingly the nut stayed on all the time I had the gearbox fitted. gotta proper one now. kind regards
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

OK... I would have liked to have kept the Burman gearbox as it was the one originally fitted to the bike when it was built but I'm not going to be anal about it. It is a 'basket case' after all. As I've said, I don't have a Burman clutch to go with it but I do have the AMC clutch. I also have a good, working AMC gearbox... Whilst the mountings look similar, they aren't identical. Are they interchangeable? If fitting the AMC clutch to the Burman gearbox is problematic, is it feasible to to fit the entire AMC gearbox and clutch in place of the originally fitted Burman items?
GOLDSTAR

Post by GOLDSTAR »

it is not a problem fitting the AMC clutch to the Burman mainshaft just understand there is a difference you will have two shock obsorbers but this is not a problem, there was a posting on 'ere a while back about the same thing, see if you can find it and have a read, kind regards, ps now time for :beer:yippee
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Followed this with interest. My G80S had the AMC setup when I got it back in the mid 1970's but it's a 56 machine. I acquired a Buman B52, refurbished and fitted it but with a CP clutch. I wasn't keen on the Burman som put the AMC back in.

Now plan to swap around again and refurb the AMC box this winter; I think I'll use the AMC clutch following the information above having bookmarked this thread - thanks from an interloper.

On the centre nut on the AMC I used Loctite and a spring washer after several "unwinding events".

Cheers

Johnny B
GOLDSTAR

Post by GOLDSTAR »

sorry didn't read your post correctly Pharisee, my swap from Burman to AMC was straightforward so I would imagine the reverse will be the same, kind regards