Lightweight Model 14 1960 Tyre Pressures

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
Richard P

Lightweight Model 14 1960 Tyre Pressures

Post by Richard P »

Hi all,
This is my first post on the forum although I've been a member for a number of years now. I acquired my fairly original and virtually complete Model 14 which was a stalled restoration 9 years ago to save it from being broken for spares and put it in my garage as a future project.
I have gradually been rebuilding the bike over the last 3 years or so suffering many trials and tribulations along with a considerably reducing bank balance as I proceeded. Many thanks to all who have posted info on here over the years as I have found it a mine of useful information. I am now so close that I can almost taste it, just the clutch to rebuild and off for an MOT!
I have had the wheels rebuilt with new rims & spokes along with new tyres, although the latter are of the Chinese variety as the wheel builder was having trouble at the time in getting Avons.
A fairly simple request I hope, but can any one advise me on the correct tyre pressures? The F Neil manual states 18 PSI front and 22 PSI rear, but I wondered if the more modern construction of the new tyres would require any alteration to the pressures?

Cheers, Richard
Rob Harknett

Re: Lightweight Model 14 1960 Tyre Pressures

Post by Rob Harknett »

The trend is to go higher with the thin walled supple tyres you refer to. I'm using about 28/30 in my bikes, which are usually ridden two up.
Richard P

Post by Richard P »

Thanks Rob, I thought that might be the case.
clanger9

Post by clanger9 »

30 psi is about right for modern tyres. 20 psi is much too low.
1989 Moto Morini Dart 350
1993 Ducati 750SS