I've just bought a 1960 Model 14

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
Rob Harknett

Re: I've just bought a 1960 Model 14

Post by Rob Harknett »

As you are now aware 17" wheels were on the 250's . I have no knowledge of the lightweight gearbox numbers also do not know of any reference to them. But if the gearbox is OK. Don't let it bother you, cross that bridge if /when you made need to. Just get what you have up and running and enjoy. Most of the frame bits will be 1960 350, of which most will be identical to the 250. I believe your engine checked our as 1965 250 CSR and I believe you have a CSR front end. I notice you have used the pic of my 1966 Matchless 250 CSR front brake anchor in your wants advert. I trust you have compared the brake plate and forks to your own. Try AMC classic spares for a new or second hand brake anchor arm. They have heaps of S/H parts. Say the part is for 65/66 era 250 CSR, that should be enough info, they know their AMC bikes. Don't forget you may need 2 bolts to fix it to forks and brake plate bolt.
spares@amcclassicspares.com
Don't forget when you need a cable that's the bike you want a cable for. Also other front end bits.
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Just remember G2/G2CS/G2CSR and Model 14 are all 250's where there are various frame differences to the G5 and Model 8 due to the shorter stroke engine and the smaller 17" wheels (some rear frame parts are different too) The G5 and Model 8 are both 350's with a taller engine and 18" wheels. Your frame is complete so there won't be too much to bother you I wouldn't think. Your gearbox number denotes the early box and therefore the early main shaft and clutch centre 043186, you would till need to check though and some change could have happened in 50+ years!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
pecon

Post by pecon »

Rob: Apologies for using your photo as a reference, I really should have asked permission before doing so. It is the nearest one to what I think I need as the only one I could find in the spares section is very different. I have sent a couple of emails to Steven at AMC spares who I have dealt with before when I had the Model 18 but so far I have heard nothing back, perhaps they are closed for holidays?.

Paul: Many thanks for those details on the gearbox. I'm guessing thet the gearbox may be original while the engine was changed?. The only frame parts that I may need are the mounts etc. for the main stand, hopefully the one I have is compatable with any parts I may need to finish mounting it.
pecon

Post by pecon »

Well it looks as though I may be in trouble as I am unable to locate a brake anchor arm and AMC spares don't have any. I wonder if I could ask someone to measure the arm on the 250 CSR front forks, mine has the 17" wheels in case that makes a difference. It seems that my engineering skills are to be put to the test. I see that there are three listed in the spares section and wonder if I could adapt one by cutting off the cable holder and rewelding it further down if the overall length was right?.

Peter
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Wheels should make no difference. The anchor fixing on the fork and brake plate, at an ANGLE. So that is important also all the hole centres. You could alter the cable to suit. But you have the welding gear, so can choose an option. Have you put your advert so all members can see it. Very few use the forum. Some one must have at least a used stay arm. They will re chrome. I have various stays on my bikes 50's 60's and lightweight bikes. I'll check the stays out in the morning. For what its worth I held a tape measure against the front of my 66 250 CSR arm and saw approx. 250 m.m. My 63 CSR has a Suzuki front wheel, with brake anchor arm that looks like its bodged from an original, Cut a bit shorter to bolt on the brake plate. It has no facility for cable adjuster, as this fits on the brake plate. ( very good twin link brake )
pecon

Post by pecon »

Thanks Rob, 250mm is exatly what the bodged one is coming in at so it looks as though he at least got that right. When I removed the bolts holding the arm and the top mudguard bracket in place I found that they were different threads so it looks as though I may have to helicoil them. Any idea what thread might have been used in the mid sixties, UNF, Whitworth, BSF etc?.

Peter
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

5/16" BSF I know its into aluminium and common sense would dictate Whitworth but most of the threads on these bikes are BSF , some other fittings are BSC ( British Standard Cycle) a finer thread
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

I have looked at some of my other bikes, with the fitting for the cable at the top. Two types for brake on the left and brake on the right. They look like a matching pair making LH and RH. The fitting at the top is curved round the fork, of a radius that gives equal clearance around the fork. These also appear to be 250 mm . Maybe 245 mm as it is difficult to give points where measurements are taken, just holding a rule alongside the fitted part. I would not like to state you could alter one of these by changing the cable fitting position. Due to all hole centres needing to line up. Even if you attempt to make one from scratch, I would advise you place an ad in the advert section, via adverts@jampot.com one should eventually turn up. Perhaps some one has one off a bike, who could draw round the flat bit and holes. Perhaps some on will have the type with the cable fitting at the top, of the correct hand, you could cut off and put on a home made one for your bike. Again I an sure you will not need to do this in finding the correct part. Have you tried Russells yet?
pecon

Post by pecon »

Paul: Thanks for clearing that up, thats for the mid '60's forks right?. Were the fittings on the earlier 1960 frame also BSF?

Rob: I had not heard of Russels before and a search came up with a London company, would that be the same Russels?. There was no email address on the site only a phone number which is odd. Doing a search I also found mention of JSL but a Google search brings up nothing.

Peter
clanger9

Post by clanger9 »

Yes, it's Russell Motors in London you need.
Call them up and ask for Les: he knows pretty much everything about Lightweight parts and is super helpful. Don't bother emailing, they don't reply.
1989 Moto Morini Dart 350
1993 Ducati 750SS