Urgent G2 gearbox shaft leak help for Newby

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
red_dog49

Re: Urgent G2 gearbox shaft leak help for Newby

Post by red_dog49 »

hi, as these box's are nearly the same can I join this thread, I do not have 041390, but its clear now that previously a spacer was used to do the same job,could someone measure correct spacer and then maybe I can find something similar.
also in clanger pics I can see that my spindle is still inside the lever so that the gear indicator would not work,just ordering new kickstart oil seal,
ps how did you get that return spring wound round !!!.
ROB
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BigJock

Post by BigJock »

Update. Pulled off primary cover after determining rattle was that side. Chain was all but hanging off so retensioned n made new gasket. Fired up and.....exact same. Sound disappears when clutch pulled in though - anyone???? Nb no metal filings in primary. Lost out on deal for bigger bike now sods law.
clanger9

Post by clanger9 »

I'll take some measurements of the spacer washers and report back.

PS: to get the kickstart spring on:
- take off the kickstart sliding gear (that engages with the layshaft) and the thin spring behind it
- fit the kickstart return spring loosely
- temporarily fit the kickstart lever and turn the kickstart shaft to tension the spring
- pop the sliding gear back on (not forgetting the thin spring behind it!)
- release the kickstart lever

The return spring should now be tensioned. You are looking for approx 90 degrees between then ends of the spring when it's tensioned right. If it's too tight or slack, repeat the process but this time fit the sliding gear one more tooth round. Repeat until it's right...

Some pics here: https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/AJS-Matchl ... 77#s172048
1989 Moto Morini Dart 350
1993 Ducati 750SS
clanger9

Post by clanger9 »

041389: ID 17.9mm OD 25.4mm T 0.8mm
041390: ID 16.3mm OD 24.4mm T 1.65mm
1993 Ducati 750SS
red_dog49

Post by red_dog49 »

hi, thanks for info clanger, was trying to see how the OD of 041390 would work then I checked and am I right in thinking that the bush needs to be clear of the case on the lever side so I need to knock it through more. struggling to find anything near size for 041390 so will need to get one made.
Rob
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
clanger9

Post by clanger9 »

Ooh, that's definitely wrong. The bronze bush needs to be flush with both sides of the centre web.
Give it a gentle tap to move it into place (might be easier if you warm the centre web up first...)
1993 Ducati 750SS
Steve S

Post by Steve S »

Hi, I needed washer 041390 also as it was missing when reassembling my Model 8 box. Les at Russel Motors couldn't supply it but my local Screw Fix were very helpful and provided a correct size washer, which had an outside diameter a bit too big, but which doesn't matter in any case, Steve S.