Never had one

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
shifter

Never had one

Post by shifter »

Never had one but I bought this Model 8 off the site ads and unseen a Cpl of weeks ago it was in good condition being rebuilt in 1999 & needing a little work, as described in the ad and a Cpl of phone calls, I have since done the electrics all working fine now had a little discharging problem, stripped cleaned & re jetted carb,timing checked & reset as it was spitting back through the exhaust a little, full service engine/oil/filter gearbox oil changed points/plug, valve clearance's reset, along with a little paint & other small items of tinkering including a good spit and polish. Today is its first distance run out we were out at 05:45 am & back at 10:20 and the bike performed very well chuffed to bits with it. Its nice to get a bike that needs just a little work (dosent often happen) and that has been described by the seller to the letter Thank you
Last edited by shifter on Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:01 am, edited 11 times in total.
?
1957M30

Re: Never had one

Post by 1957M30 »

Great looking 🏍
Bet you had a huge grin 😀 On your first ride out.
It makes you feel good to have a fettle and then enjoy the fruits of your labours 👍

Cheers
Karol
Ride Safe & don'wear beige :lol:
clanger9

Post by clanger9 »

That looks like an absolute cracker of a bike. Well done! :beer:
Lightweights are lovely bikes and it's a delight to see one in such great condition.
1989 Moto Morini Dart 350
1993 Ducati 750SS
shifter

Post by shifter »

Thanks but the bike was good to start with I have just made it a little better I hope, the chap that did it in the late 90s did a cracking job of it
Last edited by shifter on Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:21 am, edited 3 times in total.
?
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

A very smart little bike to enjoy riding just for pleasure. It even gets up, goes out and gets back home again, before mine even come out the garage.
shifter

Post by shifter »

Best time of the day love going up the coast then back down through the hills and little b roads stopping for a brew from the flask and a nice sandwich to view the wildlife and scenery
?
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Very, very nice looking example, especially the paint colour and gold tank lining which is pretty much as original.. They are nice bikes and well underestimated in my opinion.. Just checked the high resolution picture in the photos section.. Dazzling!! what kind of spit and polish is that??
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
shifter

Post by shifter »

Ozmadman. Thanks its called very hard work spit and polish, with elbow grease g3 a little paint touch up here and there and othe good products but once its like this its easy to keep up
shifter
Last edited by shifter on Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
?
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Pleased my handiwork still looks good after all these years. At one time I had a very nice trick piston in it which was a modified 59 650 twin one. 2 up it was recorded at 70 + and still accelerating!!! It was a very nippy trick bike back then but when I sold it it was put back to standard spec with a fresh +20 piston. What it has now I don't know.
shifter

Post by shifter »

Yes you did a grand job on it as can be seen in the photograph 18 years on and still on the road
?