Another silly question - min/max oil level transfers

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
teebee67

Another silly question - min/max oil level transfers

Post by teebee67 »

I know I should've taken measurements before I sent the oil tank for painting but..... can anyone tell me how to decide the correct height for the minimum and maximum oil level transfers on my AJS Model 31 please?
I'm only old on the outside.

Re: Another silly question - min/max oil level transfers

Post by 1608 »

Just put them where they look right, as they are only a rough guide anyway. People only re-affix them after painting for looks anyway. Fill oil to about 1/2" below the return out let in the tank and never let the level fall too low anyway.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

These decals were installed in the same positions as the original ones.
Oil Levels Decals.png
OK - not a model 31 but it may help

Regards Mick
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Groily

Post by Groily »

I'm with 1608. Full is good, for cooling as much as anything (but peace of mind too). Better to top up regularly after a run with small amounts than to wait till things are at the minimum (wherever that might be!) in my opinion.
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

Groily wrote:I'm with 1608. Full is good, for cooling as much as anything (but peace of mind too). Better to top up regularly after a run with small amounts than to wait till things are at the minimum (wherever that might be!) in my opinion.
We may struggle to maintain a constant level on our trip to Poland as no back up van. Unless you could pop out with a top up Bill. ;) other wise fill up as we can with 250 miles a day we shoud be OK.
Roy
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

G15 Roy wrote:
Groily wrote:I'm with 1608. Full is good, for cooling as much as anything (but peace of mind too). Better to top up regularly after a run with small amounts than to wait till things are at the minimum (wherever that might be!) in my opinion.
We may struggle to maintain a constant level on our trip to Poland as no back up van. Unless you could pop out with a top up Bill. ;) other wise fill up as we can with 250 miles a day we shoud be OK.
Given the fact that on one trip we used over 4 gallons just to make it to Denmark and then some more on the way back, could you make it a tankers worth please Bill. :rofl:
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

ajscomboman wrote:
G15 Roy wrote:
Given the fact that on one trip we used over 4 gallons just to make it to Denmark and then some more on the way back, could you make it a tankers worth please Bill. :rofl:
And one bike with an advisory at its MOT today ( oil leak ). :o
Roy
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

That'll make 2 then as rusty tends to weep and leave it's mark when parked up. :roll:
Groily

Post by Groily »

bleedin' 'eck! Oil-o-holics! Sounds like 'top up regularly with LARGE amounts' then for you guys. I'll see what the combined ranks of Total, Elf and others can do . . .
Auxiliary oil tanks, BIG ones, in case we can't get constant fresh supplies to follow the drips and fumes of the incontinent across half a continent?
Good Luck!
leswaller

Post by leswaller »

No wonder the world is introducing emmission and pollution controls with you lot turned loose on an unsuspecting Europe scattering oil like rain and leaving a subtle oil mist reminiscent of stink wheels :P :P :P :P
Les
Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of the wise