1963 G80CS Shock length & battery carrier queries

Information relating to the Matchless G85 500cc Heavyweight, AJS 7R, Matchless G45 and Matchless G50
jack clegg

1963 G80CS Shock length & battery carrier queries

Post by jack clegg »

Dear all, I have two problems on this new acquisition of mine:- the rear tyre rubs on the centrally located battery carrier, whilst going over the smallest of bumps. I have exacerbated this by fitting hagon rear shocks, which I noted were about 8mm shorter than those I removed. The old ones were the 12.4" Wassell/Paul Goff type.
The battery carrier cannot be correct for this bike, as I noted some contact wear on the lower edge of the carrier before installation of the new shocks & tyre. It appears to locate at the top rear on a small loop which bolts to the seat/cross frame member. It also has mounts forward & low behind the rear frame backbone. Can anybody tell me what is the correct type for this bike?

And also of course what the correct length is/was for the Girlngs originally fitted?

Many thanks
Jack
John Marshall
John Jarrett

Re: 1963 G80CS Shock length & battery carrier queries

Post by John Jarrett »

Jack,
The position of the battery carrier on your bike is incorrect. It should be as the picture attached on the nearside of the bike in front of the oil tank.
IMG_0969a.jpg
Can't help with the shocks.
Kind regards,
John
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stuoyb

Post by Stuoyb »

If you look at club spares you will see the different lengths/ spring rates.

http://www.amoc-parts.com/store/comersu ... ategory=66
jack clegg

Post by jack clegg »

Thanks for that photo John. I'm missing a large assembly it seems. I bet you can't buy them now either.
I removed the battery & carrier... it is clearly a home made bodge-up. In the absence of the original assembly, I may have to re-bodge with a smaller AGM battery I think.

The shocks, yes I saw them on the AMOC spares list, same Wassell type 12.4" & 145 lb springs. But are these the correct length one wonders? Or are they just near as dammit? I was hoping some soul would have the girling catalogue for reference. Once I've cured the rubbing on the battery carrier these Hagon shocks will do OK, but I just wonder what is actually the correct length?
John Marshall
ajsph

Post by ajsph »

girling5.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jack clegg

Post by jack clegg »

Thanks for that ajsph.
It would appear that almost all 18CS models used 12.4 shocks. Which means Hagon are short changing me with theirs. They'll be OK once I relocate the battery carrier though. Too late to send 'em back now.
John Marshall
jack clegg

Post by jack clegg »

Thanks to Spriddler, who sent me a link to Christian's Archives - Pukka Girling specs pdf. They show 12.3". It's only a few mil off the Hagon's, which are 12.2" & the same for Wassell type at 12.4". However if you change Wassell for Hagon units, as I have, you get a .2" drop in size. Hagon's are the nearest really. I would not want this bike any taller thanks.
TTFN Jack
John Marshall
Don Madden

Post by Don Madden »

Sorry to be so long replying but had to dig in "Amadden's Cave" to find original AMC/Girling CS/CSR units. They are 1/2in longer than the Touring typw with different springs, measuring 12in long, eye/eye. The North American Section manufactures most sheet metal parts unique to CS/CSR models except tanks & light alloy mudguards & stock both 1960-63 & 1964-up battery carriers. We also make most types of steel touring mudguards, luggage racks & other parts.
Order by original part no, contact our Secretary: John Diederich, (704)663-2556, USA, cycletoys@aol.com Regards, Don.
jack clegg

Post by jack clegg »

Thank you Don. As it 'appens, Steve Surbey already pointed me to John Diederich for the battery carrier & I have ordered one.
The shock length is going to be fine with Alf Hagon's 12.2" type. They would have been fine if it were not for the idiotic bodge from a former owner in fitting the carrier in such a daft place.
I have posted the photo here for all to gasp at. Bodgetastic!
Battery-Carrier-Bodge-up.jpg
John Marshall
BultacoBen

Post by BultacoBen »

:shock: :shock: :shock:
http://www.ben-eddings.com
1966 Matchless G2 CSR scrambler
1986 Suzuki DR600 long-range explorer
1971 BSA B50T street tracker