G15 primary case oil leak

Information relating to the Matchless G15 or AJS Model 33 750cc twin. This also includes the G15 Mk II and the G15/45
StuartN

Post by StuartN »

I am still trying to find and fix the oil leak on the primary case. I have sealed the inner to outer case (having repaired a couple of stripped threads and purchase a better gasket) but it still leaks somewhere from the back. I am used to the odd drip of oil from the gearbox shaft seal into the primary case. This leak is far worse; I have a dripping rear wheel! Any ideas? Do I need to pull the clutch and inner case off and change the rear seal. I am trying to avoid doing so.

itma

Post by itma »

are you sure this is not an overfull gearbox and its being pumped out that way? or a duff seal there? smell it, if it smells of cats pee then its gearbox oil.[assuming you are useing EP oil] otherwise you seem to have a major hole somewhere, or a crack? The alloy chaincases weren`t bad for leaks
Charles

Post by Charles »

Are you sure it is coming from the primary chain case? Is the oil level in there falling? I know someone who has a G15 whose rear wheel was splattered in oil and thought it was the chaincase but found that oil was leaking from a rubber breather pipe that had chafed through behind the chain case.
regards
Charles