She's BACK! Thanks guys :-)

Information relating to the Matchless G9 or AJS Model 20 500cc twin
Janet

Re: She's BACK! Thanks guys :-)

Post by Janet »

Cliff-1959 wrote:What are your thoughts?
My thoughts are that I'd better scrap my bikes now if that's what I have to do after re-ringing an engine. My first few miles would be spent checking to make sure everything seemed to be fitted and working properly. by the time I was sure of it, I'd have passed the 20 mile limit so would have to start again, which, obviously, would be expensive and pointless.

It didn't seem to be a problem the last time I put new rings in my Honda. Now that I'm doing it again after 50,000 miles, you've got me worried and I don't know what to do. :(
clanger9

Re: She's BACK! Thanks guys :-)

Post by clanger9 »

My rule of thumb for bedding in any engine: just remember you're trying to get the engine used to how you want to use it. Not anyone else.
So if you're a racer, you'll need to thrash it. If you're a plodder, keep on plodding. That way the engine will bed in just right and you don't need to worry.

Disclaimer: the above guidance has to be applied with a bit of mechanical sympathy. You can usually sense if an engine is becoming unhappy during the run-in phase. As soon as it feels fluffy or hesitant, just do the opposite of what you just did until it calms down. If you have limited mechanical feel, this can be difficult. ;)
1989 Moto Morini Dart 350
1993 Ducati 750SS