Knee grip attachement

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
Mick D

Re: Knee grip attachement

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Might you also have four spacers, pt no 000178?

Regards Mick
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

Mick D wrote:Hi

Might you also have four spacers, pt no 000178?

Regards Mick

Err.... no. There aren't any spacers mentioned in the '55 parts list and that number doesn't bring up anything on the AMOC spares web site.
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
hatrack

Post by hatrack »

Wish I'd read this post!
New mounting plates and rubbers from the spares scheme.
Same problem. Plates correct shape, the same asthe rusted ones I'm discarding. But the rubbers are the wrong shape. 10mm shorter on their longest side and the wrong shape to fit the plate.
Its not the spacers, I have the originals.
And my original rubbers go on the new plates fine, though they are rather worn and hardened.
I emailed the spares scheme carefully explaining the discrepency, and got a curt but prompt reply saying there was nothing wrong, they have sold lots and everybody else is happy.
I'll send them back and try AMC Classic Spares in trhe morning.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

The club appear to stock 46/56 rubbers, could you have a later tank so need the later rubbers?
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

It's a while back now but in the end I fitted the new, reproduction grips to the '55 M18S tank with some powerful 'Gorilla' double sided tape (Other brands are available).
On my current rebuild, a '54 G3/LS, I'm using the original attachment plates as they were in good condition and the original ( manufactured by 'John Bull' ) rubber knee grips. They came up well with a good scrubbing in hot, soapy water and a going over with tyre dressing liquid. They are a lot softer rubber and more flexible than the quite hard repro jobs and they also have a compound curve that matches the tank although I suspect that's because they've been on a tank for the last 60 years and not because they were designed that way... But I may be wrong...
I had no success with the plates and grips that are currently being offered by AMOC Spares. I couldn't get them to fit to my satisfaction.
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
bitza

Post by bitza »

My 53 G 9 tank rubbers were cracked around the lip, like Pharisee commented, I washed them in the sink in hot soapy water and nail brushed the grime out.
When dried I opened up the cracks and evo stuck the splits, cleaned of excess, tyre blacked them, turned out ok.
Chris Berry

Post by Chris Berry »

I too had trouble fitting new knee grips. The original knee pads that I purchased were to small (they were very narrow at the small end). I then purchased some more which were the correct size and had no trouble