Knee grip attachement

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
Pharisee

Knee grip attachement

Post by Pharisee »

While I had the 18S in bits, I took the opportunity to have the petrol tank and the two tool boxes resprayed. The knee grips that I took off were cracked and perished so I bought a new pair from AMOC spares. I'm having trouble fitting them... They don't seem to be the same shape as the plates that they are suppose to fit over. When I do get them onto the plates, they stick out at the edges and quite honestly, look awful.
At the risk of being drummed out of the Brownies, I'm considering putting them back on with double sided adhesive tape, the same way that Triumph fitted them to the late '60's bikes. Does anybody else do it that way...?

John
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
Rob Harknett

Re: Knee grip attachement

Post by Rob Harknett »

Have the plates got flattened ? Hold them against the tank to see if they hold up close to it. Try the rubbers on the plate, do they fit snug? Perhaps pack the rubbers a bit between rubber and plate, to make them fit tighter round the edge of the plate.
saltbox alf
Deceased

Post by saltbox alf »

The knee grip rubbers do change part numbers for 57 onwards, as to the size, there might be a difference?

I have '51 mounting plates and a pair of Matchless rubbers (bought seperatly) which are the wrong size for the plates (too small)
Allons-y, amis de Matchless et AJS
alanengineer

Post by alanengineer »

try putting a thin washer in addition to the spacer, if fitted, between tank and plate. Also, spray the knee pad with a bit of furniture polish to help it slide into place
moley

Post by moley »

Yes i have stopped buying new knee pads - they are all crap fitting

Look on ebay - quite often a good pair of originals come up

Andy
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

Rob Harknett wrote:Have the plates got flattened ? Hold them against the tank to see if they hold up close to it. Try the rubbers on the plate, do they fit snug? Perhaps pack the rubbers a bit between rubber and plate, to make them fit tighter round the edge of the plate.
The plates certainly aren't flat but how closely they conform to the original shape of 60 years ago is anyone's guess. There seems to be a size discrepancy between to plate and the rubber grip. I can stretch the rubber over the plate but either the plate is too big or the moulded recess on the back of the grip that the plate fits into is too small as the edges of the rubber grip are forced outwards, away from the tank. There is no way they are going to look correct.
thornebt

Post by thornebt »

If you've got a piece of aluminium sheet and some spare time perhaps it would be possible to make some new plates to fit the tank rubbers? Might be worth a try anyway.

Bruce.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Sounds like plates are too big. I was thinking the rubbers were not tight against the tank. See if the rubbers will fit by putting the plate and rubber in a bowl of warm soapy water. You can roll them on better off the bike. If you can get them on by doing that, although difficult to roll them on, you should eventually achieve it using soapy water. You could also try rounding off the plate edges, so they don't dig in the rubber, stopping you roll them over on the plate. Also stopping you from slipping the rubbers in the correct position. I have had rubbers tight at first, but they soon loosen up and harden. Then they appear to be too big for the plate. If you can be patient, have a few goes at stretching rubbers on the plates in the soapy bowl of water. You may also see if they are not quite in the correct position. So you can twist clock or anti clockwise, to make them seat. Once stretched and cut in, you should then get them on OK with the plate fitted on the tank.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Have you checked you have the correct parts and assembly order? - it differs if you have the optional chrome side panels.

I queried which rubbers to buy with Steve at AMC Classic Spares as the price range seemed excessive - I was advised that the best fit were, unfortunately, the most expensive. I took this advice and am pleased with the fit.

Regards Mick
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

Mick D wrote:Hi

Have you checked you have the correct parts and assembly order? - it differs if you have the optional chrome side panels.

Regards Mick
My tank doesn't have chrome side panels. The only parts listed, as far as I can see, are the two rubber knee grips (010906/7), the two plates (010908/9) and the four fixing screws (000348). Am I missing something?

Cheers
John