Trials Bike?

Information relating to the Matchless G85 500cc Heavyweight, AJS 7R, Matchless G45 and Matchless G50
Matchymarty

Trials Bike?

Post by Matchymarty »

Hi all,

Been happily reading the brilliant article on Matchless and AJS Competition models history published in the "Trialscentral.com" web based emagazine, and, have been thinking for some time of trying to get into Pre '65 Classic Trials.

Reading the article, it suggests many many wins with G3LC based rigid rear ended bikes through the 50's, and struggles with the weight and length of the sprung frames, albeit, an inevitability of progress to finally move on from the rigids.

My question, is to those whom have ridden both, are the rigid's capable in the hands of a newby trials rider, or, should I just be looking for a gerling sprung version. Also, as I own 2 500 CS's, is there any reason why I wouldn't go for a 500 trials vs a 350?

Also, what is the concensous on forks and brakes? I believe Ceriani's etc are not allowed in the Pre '65 rules?

I'd also like the little lady to ride it too, as I think she'd enjoy Classic Trials.

Is there a list somewhere of the 'changes' to the Trials models throughout the years? Just wondering about geometry, weights etc.

Marty
Matchymarty

Re: Trials Bike?

Post by Matchymarty »

Further to above, does anyone know what the Short stroke 500's are like as a trials engine? I have a '56 CS in the shed, that I could always convert to a Trial bike.....
500tg3lc

Re: Trials Bike?

Post by 500tg3lc »

Rigid or s/a depends on the sections - rigid OK in the mud - s/a good for rocks - the sections changed as the bikes changed - short stroke engines a bit harsh for most people doing trials - CS frames not as much ground clearance as trials frames - AMC specific trials rigid frames from 1954, started production autumn 1953.