Primary chain case outer cover advice please.

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
Matt Durkin

Primary chain case outer cover advice please.

Post by Matt Durkin »

Hey guysthe

Can you tell me please, firstly, am I describing the cover onbthe left side of the engine, which covers the stator and the chain as a primary chain case cover ?

If thats the case, my next question (as a newbie) is .... are these universally fitted, ie, all mount holes same ?

We are in need of a replacement cover due to the project my Dad took on, coming incomplete.

It has an alternator, 6 holes to fit the stator into the casing.

We are looking at some on eBay at min but not sure if they are all interchangeable or not. Any help or advice greatly Appreciated.
Matt.
Stuoyb

Re: Primary chain case outer cover advice please.

Post by Stuoyb »

There are 3 types :-

Single
Twin - Dynamo
Twin - Alternator
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Perhaps more than one type of each mentioned above e. g. lightweight or heavyweight single. You really do need to state the make year and modle. You are in 500cc AJS & Matchless single section. So you certainly would not want a cover intended for a light weight single.
Janet

Post by Janet »

There are pictures in this thread, presumably of the bike in question.
http://www.jampot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15861
Janet

Post by Janet »

Matt, did you join the club? If not you'll be getting barred from posting on the forum very shortly, although you'll still be able to read the public messages.
Matt Durkin

Post by Matt Durkin »

Hello Janet. I was not aware of restrictions ref joining club. I shall look into doing that, thank you.

To all others, it is a 500 single, alternator model.

Thanks.

Ps.... Yes, that is indeed the bike in question in the above thread link. :)
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Rob Harknett wrote:You really do need to state the make year and modle.
From Matt's previous several posts on help with recommissioning this bike for his wedding, and his Profile, it's a 1958 G80 (which he inherited from his Dad).
I can't comment as I don't have any experience with ali chaincases.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Triumph-Legend

Post by Triumph-Legend »

Just thought I should mention this. A bit off track, but may be useful if using miss matched primary case parts.
I recall reading a magazine article ref the mounting of AMC alternator stators. The owner had modified the outer case by slicing of the top of the front dome. Fitting threaded inserts into the case outer to mount the stator and then the dome top part that had been sliced off was fitted back on using separate screws. Maybe somebody can recall the source of the article and if has been included in the tech tips. The obvious advantage of the mod is that it facilitates the correct spacing of the stator relative to the rotor. This could not be guaranteed using miss matched inner and outer case sections as usually it is not possible to see the stator position.
Janet

Post by Janet »

Durkin wrote:Hello Janet. I was not aware of restrictions ref joining club. I shall look into doing that, thank you.
It can be very useful as there are members who live not far from you and who could probably be persuaded to pop round and take a look at your bike and give advice.
Don Madden

Post by Don Madden »

I know of several versions of the inner case beginning in 1958: The twins had alloy cases one for the dynamo models & another for the alternator types. The singles used a pressed steel case on competition models until 1960. The singles had a different case from the twins, lightweight alloy on touring types. Cheers! Don.