Brit Bolts, nuts and fastners What ARE THEY? from US

This area contains links to posts within the forum area on various topics. It's designed to help you find the answers to the most common questions about AJS and Matchless machines.
Only club members can create entries witin this area.
mrtnfischer

Re: Brit Bolts, nuts and fastners What ARE THEY? from US

Post by mrtnfischer »

Well, now, I am really screwed up in all of the sizes, I was Printer in my former life not a mechanics and a Brit machinery repair guy. I have to thank you for the info. I really Just would like to put the "basket case" together and I hope the parts people (spares?) have parts.
1. I have no thread measuring gauges but I do have a Vernier caliper and that is helpful.
2. I a 5 gallon bucket with some parts (spare) nuts, studs and bolts. tin and cable parts and all of the tin, rebuilt engine, sprockets, clutch, Trans., forks etc. and the rebuilt engine.
3. I do have a parts book fore the G80 and I have sent to the spares people (Jam pot spares) a list on 11/13/2014. most numbers supplied from the catalog.
4, I have not heard back from them (are they still there at helpliner@jampot.com) or did I send to the wrong place???
5. Why is it called "Jampot"? Is it the valve covers on the twin? and what's a jampot anyways?. I had a twin in the 60's, it ate it's rod on a hot day near lake Okeechobee in Florida, hitched back to Ft Lauderdale in the back of a Pickup truck.
6. In England, which way does the 6 volt current go on the '62 Matchless?, up or down, left to right, or pos to neg. My MGTD goes down to the Pos, the TR4 and the TR6 goes down to the Negative.
7. Thank you everyone for keeping this G*0 from the "BoneYard"

Cold today 22F and snow outside
aobp11

Post by aobp11 »

5. Your Matchless is too recent to recognize this. Just Google for "jampot" pictures. Some jampots are nearly "twins" of our fat, upright shock absorbers (1952-1956).

Albert
saltbox alf
Deceased

Post by saltbox alf »

jampots.jpg
Hi Martin, these are 'jampots' I think you guys call Jam, Jelly, essentially a fruit preserve in a jar. The suspension unit look like Jars!!

1/ very useful, but a thread guage is better.
2/we all have something similar, I use baccy tins with different size nuts and bolts eg, 5/16 whit and 1/4 whit.
3/Most important also here is usefull https://www.dropbox.com/sh/oo36v8mw2xqt ... hdRCa?dl=0
4/Web site difficulties , some one will read this and pick up on it (I hope)
5/ see picture
6/yes ( I think they are negative earth, no doubt I will be corrected!!)
7/Don't freeze ! :beer:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Allons-y, amis de Matchless et AJS
Eamonn
Webmaster

Post by Eamonn »

mrtnfischer wrote:3. I do have a parts book fore the G80 and I have sent to the spares people (Jam pot spares) a list on 11/13/2014. most numbers supplied from the catalog.
The best way to purchase your spares is by using the website at www.amoc-parts.com - you can search the listings for the parts you require many have photos of the item, and them make a purchase. Payment is taken using PayPal and parcels are shipped internationally on Thursdays each week.

mrtnfischer wrote:4, I have not heard back from them (are they still there at helpliner@jampot.com) or did I send to the wrong place???
The Helpliner address should be used for technical advice and queries - you cannot purchase spares from the Helpliner. If you're not sure of a part number, by all means contact the Helpliner to clarify the part required and then order it from the Spares team using the www.amoc-parts.com website
Corners like a Lego man
dogwheel

Post by dogwheel »

Look on EBay for a Metric/Imperial Thread Gauge, they are very cheap and really useful, without one, you can confidently expect to make a mess of the job.
Good Luck.
Rbn.
mrtnfischer

Re: Brit Bolts, nuts and fastners, MORE???WHAT DO I HAVE

Post by mrtnfischer »

Thanks for all of the info on BOLTS, nuts and sizes. After all of that, I really feel doomed in the reconstruction of this G-80. Fortunately, there is this resource, the Jampot. (I cant believe it's named after a jar of jelly and those rear "shocks" do not look like mine on the G80 or a jar of anything. :beer:
One problem, beside the total difference of sizes is, is the terminology of parts. I cannot understandsome of the differences in our names between the US and UK, Like a front fork "SPIGOT Ring" or "split pin" and Spanners for wrenches, I can't wait to find out what sockets are called.

Since this "1962 G80" is missing most of its bolts or is that "Fasteners" and its paper work (documents),
It would be nice to know what I really have sitting on the concrete. Than I can begin to get parts (I did order some "pinch bolts for the "Triple tree" or as you call it "Fork Crown". So lets see if they fit....in the holes+

Can some one help me out? I have the following stampings, number of Frame A81825. Engine stamping. 41383. At least I can get a start,
Also, What is a G18?? :?:
Thanks.

" I also keep getting "404 error message" is that some kind of cyber code for the UK like a Spigot Ring? :headbang:

http://www.northeastclassicwheels.net

Also thanks to all who are helping.. Above find my blog, I think there is a picture of the G80 in expose. But there are a lot of other neat stuff on it.
Morning temp 25F overcast
Last edited by mrtnfischer on Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mrtnfischer

Post by mrtnfischer »

Since I am being informed that I may not have the "Norton Roadholders" What do I have" I saw something like hydr????? somethig.
There seems to be a few different diagrams I have been finding for putting the forks together. I might have a 1 1/4 ? whatever that is. The diagram on my "Spares list" dated 1960, page 39 has a illustration that seems to disjointed for me to make an assembly.

Am I in the right place for the form??
g80csp11

Post by g80csp11 »

try searching for images of a G80 matchless , and start comparing what you have with other bike . remember others may not be exactly as they left the showroom
attached link shows what is reported to be a 1962 G80 . is this what you think you have ?

http://www.bike-urious.com/wp-content/u ... t-Side.jpg

matchless 1.1/4 forks , not roadholders
mrtnfischer

Post by mrtnfischer »

Since it in about 30 pieces. I will probably only be able to Identify the engine an frame or maybe I will get lucky.
Last edited by mrtnfischer on Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mrtnfischer

Post by mrtnfischer »

WOW, That.s it, quite pretty, knee knockers and all .
I see the fender shape, tail piece, down tube and the engine. I think my tank may be fatter
I wish I could figure out how on this site to post a picture of my frame and parts, but later when they return from the painter.
Many thanks G80 csp 11